Should I give my birds grit??

bk15

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
I have had chickens for 4 years and I have never bought them girt!! I live in a desert and there are lots of small rocks and pebbles for them to it eat and plus I only feed my girls laying crumbles but Iam going to switch them onto pellets so should I feed them grit?

If they are free range, they should get enough grit from the environment.

I let mine free range everyonce in while we have a really bad coyote problem and I have lost one bird because of coyotes so mine mostly stay in the coop and run so I would say I will let them out of the run mabeye once a month

How big is the run?   If the run is dirt then I would say no to the grit, they get enough just being outside.

I don't know how big the run is but it is dirt and and it is good size I can keep up to 30 chickens in it and right now I have 7

I would say no they do not need grit then keep up enough dirt sand pebbles during the day to keep they going. If you want you can get a small bag but I do not see it as necessary.

I would say no they do not need grit then keep up enough dirt sand pebbles during the day to keep they going.  If you want you can get a small bag but I do not see it as necessary.

Okay thanks for help!!!
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Some chickens are do not like change in the type of feed. If you toss out scratch for them substitute the pellets for 2 or 3 days before you change to pellets. That worked for me. GC

bk15
I give my 5 chicks grit and they have a large run. Some chickens are do not like change in the type of feed. If you toss out scratch for them substitute the pellets for 2 or 3 days before you change to pellets. That worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom