should i give them grit??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roooisin, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Roooisin

Roooisin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    i was told that i should be giving my chickens grit if im giving them treats.. i have always given my hens grit but now i have a 2 week old chick and 3 five week old chicks.. i gave them some oats, potatoes and spaghetti over the last few days.. should they be getting grit or are they too you young?

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I bought some chick grit. The directions said offer some at 2 weeks old.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If you are giving them stuff for which they need "teeth" (most likely the oats, from your current list), then yes, I would offer chick grit. It sure won't hurt anything.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You can use a strainer to separate some of the smaller pieces of grit from the grit for adult chickens. It would keep you from having to buy one more thing.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    A bit of sandy soil with rocky bits can be placed in the brooder. You can use a shallow dish and they will eat and dustbathe in it. It prevents pasty butt too. [​IMG]

6. chicshackmama

chicshackmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    I am new to chickens but I was told to buy chick grit for my new chicks and it would help prevent pasting issues. I assume there is a difference between this and regular grit? It is pretty tiny and I sprinkle it over their feed. They love it! [​IMG]

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Chick grit is just ground smaller than regular grit. I choose to use rocky sand from my yard, it does the same thing. [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I bought the small bag of chick grit & mix a handful in with my chick start when I feed my girls. Because they are out in their run & I have been letting them out in the main yard & also getting treats, I want to make sure they have their grit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by