should i give them grit??

Roooisin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
i was told that i should be giving my chickens grit if im giving them treats.. i have always given my hens grit but now i have a 2 week old chick and 3 five week old chicks.. i gave them some oats, potatoes and spaghetti over the last few days.. should they be getting grit or are they too you young?

If you are giving them stuff for which they need "teeth" (most likely the oats, from your current list), then yes, I would offer chick grit. It sure won't hurt anything.

A bit of sandy soil with rocky bits can be placed in the brooder. You can use a shallow dish and they will eat and dustbathe in it. It prevents pasty butt too.
smile.png

I am new to chickens but I was told to buy chick grit for my new chicks and it would help prevent pasting issues. I assume there is a difference between this and regular grit? It is pretty tiny and I sprinkle it over their feed. They love it!
smile.png

I bought the small bag of chick grit & mix a handful in with my chick start when I feed my girls. Because they are out in their run & I have been letting them out in the main yard & also getting treats, I want to make sure they have their grit.

Back
Top Bottom