Should I give them more time?

Sorry you lost so many. :( Looks like lack of humidity. The air sack is way too large. If it were me, I would supply moisture if the sacks get that large. If the inner membrane closes down on them, they will be "stuck " and die before they can possibly get out. Good luck on your next batch. :)

Sorry you lost so many. :( Looks like lack of humidity. The air sack is way too large. If it were me, I would supply moisture if the sacks get that large. If the inner membrane closes down on them, they will be "stuck " and die before they can possibly get out. Good luck on your next batch. :)
The levels were the same when we’ve had perfect hatch rates in the winter, but this was our first hatch with the a/c on. Does that effect them that much?

The levels were the same when we’ve had perfect hatch rates in the winter, but this was our first hatch with the a/c on. Does that effect them that much?
It possibly could. Do you use gas or electric heat in the winter? The AC is designed to lower the humidity in the home. If you have higher humidity, they are less likely to become stuck to the membrane. If you use electric heat, the humidity will be higher in your home than using gas heat. If you use a humidifier, even with gas heat, the humidity will be higher. If you are using wood burning, it also lowers the humidity.

I don't know what kind of incubator you have, but mine the Nurture 360, you just add the distilled water to one chamber, watch the humidity and at lockdown, add to an additional chamber. Very easy. I have hatched 3 batches since my oldest daughter gave it to me for Christmas. :) Finally got a place where I can have chickens. I set 24 eggs each time and got 22, 21, and 23 hatched out. I have had such luck with this one that I have chickens out the ying-yang! LOL Previously (40 years ago) I had the old waffle cone type of incubator. You could not keep the temp regulated for nothing! Man, have they come a long way!

Good luck with your next batches and I would just for giggles, add the humidity so the air sack is smaller. IMHO it should be about half or a little more that what you have. Don't want them babies to drown. ;)

It possibly could. Do you use gas or electric heat in the winter? We use gas heating, pretty sure lol. Fairly confident. Now second guessing… The AC is designed to lower the humidity in the home. If you have higher humidity, they are less likely to become stuck to the membrane. If you use electric heat, the humidity will be higher in your home than using gas heat. If you use a humidifier, even with gas heat, the humidity will be higher. If you are using wood burning, it also lowers the humidity.

I don't know what kind of incubator you have, but mine the Nurture 360, you just add the distilled water to one chamber, watch the humidity and at lockdown, add to an additional chamber. Very easy. I have hatched 3 batches since my oldest daughter gave it to me for Christmas. :) Finally got a place where I can have chickens. I set 24 eggs each time and got 22, 21, and 23 hatched out. I have had such luck with this one that I have chickens out the ying-yang! LOL Previously (40 years ago) I had the old waffle cone type of incubator. You could not keep the temp regulated for nothing! Man, have they come a long way! We have a Kebonnix incubator and it’s super simple! Just set it and forget it, usually hatches 11/12 eggs. These are the only two with huge air sacs at 33% average humidity. We used a Govee the first time and it made me fiddle too much, pretty poor hatch rate. Once I just learned to trust the incubator, I’ve been very pleased

Good luck with your next batches and I would just for giggles, add the humidity so the air sack is smaller. IMHO it should be about half or a little more that what you have. Don't want them babies to drown. ;) I think I’ll definitely give it another go with higher humidity! And tape the plug to the wall so there’s no mishaps 😅 Thanks for taking the time to write out such a great response!

It possibly could. Do you use gas or electric heat in the winter? The AC is designed to lower the humidity in the home. If you have higher humidity, they are less likely to become stuck to the membrane. If you use electric heat, the humidity will be higher in your home than using gas heat. If you use a humidifier, even with gas heat, the humidity will be higher. If you are using wood burning, it also lowers the humidity.

I don't know what kind of incubator you have, but mine the Nurture 360, you just add the distilled water to one chamber, watch the humidity and at lockdown, add to an additional chamber. Very easy. I have hatched 3 batches since my oldest daughter gave it to me for Christmas. :) Finally got a place where I can have chickens. I set 24 eggs each time and got 22, 21, and 23 hatched out. I have had such luck with this one that I have chickens out the ying-yang! LOL Previously (40 years ago) I had the old waffle cone type of incubator. You could not keep the temp regulated for nothing! Man, have they come a long way!

Good luck with your next batches and I would just for giggles, add the humidity so the air sack is smaller. IMHO it should be about half or a little more that what you have. Don't want them babies to drown. ;)
How do you clean it? It looks like the turner is on the bottom of that one.

Day 21 was Friday, we have two chicks that hatched then. Two eggs left (pictured) are top heavy with large air sacks. The third is smaller air sack and evenly balanced, but blue is impossible to see through, not internally pipped. Never seen any wiggles from all three. When would you call it finished?

View attachment 3198524View attachment 3198525

I’ve never had a late hatch. If the egg doesn’t hatch on day on 21 I personally don’t think it will ever hatch. Others may have a late hatch experience. I have never seen it.

Back
Top Bottom