Should I Harvest or Sell?

classicsredone

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Crunchy California
We took in two batches of chicks that were hatched in classrooms this past spring through the local 4H embryology project. The first batch left us with three hens and the rest were boys. They were complete jerks and the family member that was going to take both batches decided not to. The plan was to brood and grow them here until they crowed, and then to send them up to their property to free range and grow out until they were ready to harvest. The first five roosters were complete jerks and their three hens were not in great shape from being pinned down by roosters all day. This batch is likely from the same 4H family, and most are really awful roosters. One attacked my husband last night while he was trying to bring them inside. (We are in the suburbs and NEED to get rid of these roos. As a courtesy to our neighbors, we bring the boys inside until about 9 am. They have a huge dog crate that is getting tight but is still comfortable for them to sleep in. We have had to separate them from our slightly younger birds and hens because the hens have big bald spots on the back of their necks and chests from the roos. They also are all marked up on their combs, wattles, and faces. I accidentally let a hen down without thinking, and immediately she was screaming and being chased up a tree by 9 rude roosters.

Here is my question - should we take them to be processed or wait for the livestock auction in a week and a half? I've heard that roosters do well at the auctions (northern CA), but what does good mean? The person that raised and harvested the first batch of roosters doesn't want to butcher these, which is fine. The only processor I know of serves a lot of the very nice restaurants in town but will process birds from smaller flocks. The downside is that it is a $50 minimum. We have 9 roosters that are between 4.5 and 6.5 lbs, with the largest and heaviest being Cuckoo Marans. They are just about four months old now. If we had the room, I would let them continue to grow, however, we just don't. I don't expect our family member to take them after their hens were a bit traumatized by only five roosters, let alone the 9 jerks and two babies that we won't be keeping. Since there is a $50 minimum which usually will do 18 birds, we aren't getting the best deal by processing. That being said, we raised the birds organically and with plenty of variety, and will lose money if we sell them at auction. Is it worth $5 (in northern CA) to process each bird just to get it done and have a little meat? Or sell and just get rid of the bastards if we don't want to keep growing out or process on our own?

I would sell. They're already old enough that you'll have to roast them anyway, and it's going to cost a lot to have them processed. Obviously you don't want to process them yourself. Growing males out isn't really a great thing to do if they aren't your own hatches and something simply must be done with them. At auction at least you'll get something for them, and you can buy some whole chickens at the grocery with that money and have something good to eat, lol.

I think it all depends on what you want. Do you want the meat? If yes, get them butchered. Would you rather make back a little of the money you spent feeding them? Then sell at auction.

You could also learn to butcher them yourself. It's not a fun thing to do, and some folks can't handle it, but in the end you get good meat that you know the history of. Maybe the person that did the first batch would be willing to come walk you through the process. :idunno

I think whatever you decide to do it will be a good decision. :thumbsup

For nine youngish cockerels, any reason you don't just skin to process? Chicken soup? Won't be that hard and solve several issues. Especially, since you know how these were fed.
I would, but I'm pregnant and have some serious aversions right now. I can't even stand in the kitchen for more than two minutes without puking, so processing isn't in the cards right now. It would also be my first time. I know people that could teach me, but this batch I'm just not going to be able to do. Maybe next year, when I'm not so green all the time. My husband wasn't raised around livestock, so he's totally not into processing himself. He was grossed out by giblets inside store-bought birds for the longest time. I am going to do a meat bird run in a couple weeks with the relative mentioned, but we won't have the same issues that we had with these roosters (all from the same 4H family) that are just nasty, mean creatures compared to any I've been around before.

I would sell. They're already old enough that you'll have to roast them anyway, and it's going to cost a lot to have them processed. Obviously you don't want to process them yourself. Growing males out isn't really a great thing to do if they aren't your own hatches and something simply must be done with them. At auction at least you'll get something for them, and you can buy some whole chickens at the grocery with that money and have something good to eat, lol.
Yeah - the plan didn't exactly work out because they obviously weren't bred for their sterling behavior. We were offered the birds for free and said sure, why not, figuring that we'd have a decent ratio of males to females. Not so much - the second batch was ALL boys, and somehow came from the same 4H family. They're the nastiest roosters I've ever been around. We planned on brooding and raising to 8 weeks and then moving to the relative's house for another 4-8 weeks until they reached an okay size for processing. We didn't care much about the size and just wanted to get the experience under our belt. It just didn't work out because the five roos were attacking their three hens and started charging at the humans. So they backed out, and the plan went out the window as well. We've learned our lesson and likely won't take the hatched classroom chicks again. The kids are starting 4H this year, and we'll get around to learning to process on our own when I'm not pregnant and barfy. I'm not seeing how auctioning and buying birds at the store is a better deal, though. I know that they're not going to be the most tender birds, but the birds that have already been processed came out just fine in my sister's Instant Pot. I have one in our freezer to try later in the week. I appreciate the opinion and experience, though. We've had laying hens before, but the meat side of it is new to us because we've always bought sexed birds.

Best wishes with the birds and the barfies. I hope both problems are short term.

For the barfies, have you tried peppermint?

I'm not seeing how auctioning and buying birds at the store is a better deal, though. I know that they're not going to be the most tender birds, but the birds that have already been processed came out just fine in my sister's Instant Pot. I have one in our freezer to try later in the week. I appreciate the opinion and experience, though. We've had laying hens before, but the meat side of it is new to us because we've always bought sexed birds.
The idea being if you got anything more than $5 each for them, you could buy a store bird that weighed twice as much and was processed, good deal.

My condolences on the barfies :(

The idea being if you got anything more than $5 each for them, you could buy a store bird that weighed twice as much and was processed, good deal.

My condolences on the barfies :(

Thank you. At least it is worth it. This guy is our last and was a HUGE surprise, so I'm trying to enjoy it as much as I can. I *could* definitely get rotisserie sized birds for less. Costco has seasoned rotisserie birds uncooked for $2.5 or so per bird if bought in a case of 20 or so. The texture and taste of the bird that was already processed were far superior to the Cornish Cross rotisserie birds, though. We know that they got good food (as opposed to filler with a vitamin supplement), sunlight, room to free range, etc. I couldn't buy an organic bird for less than what the processing fee would be. I don't think either option is great, but it is what it is. After getting mostly boys from two different classrooms that obviously got eggs from the same 4H family, we probably won't be accepting any of those freebies again. At least, not while we're living in the suburbs. The kids just started 4H and we're being much more thoughtful about which animals enter the flock now. Unless they're feeding us or they're going to be shown, they're outta here.

We took in two batches of chicks that were hatched in classrooms this past spring through the local 4H embryology project. The first batch left us with three hens and the rest were boys. They were complete jerks and the family member that was going to take both batches decided not to. The plan was to brood and grow them here until they crowed, and then to send them up to their property to free range and grow out until they were ready to harvest. The first five roosters were complete jerks and their three hens were not in great shape from being pinned down by roosters all day. This batch is likely from the same 4H family, and most are really awful roosters. One attacked my husband last night while he was trying to bring them inside. (We are in the suburbs and NEED to get rid of these roos. As a courtesy to our neighbors, we bring the boys inside until about 9 am. They have a huge dog crate that is getting tight but is still comfortable for them to sleep in. We have had to separate them from our slightly younger birds and hens because the hens have big bald spots on the back of their necks and chests from the roos. They also are all marked up on their combs, wattles, and faces. I accidentally let a hen down without thinking, and immediately she was screaming and being chased up a tree by 9 rude roosters.

Here is my question - should we take them to be processed or wait for the livestock auction in a week and a half? I've heard that roosters do well at the auctions (northern CA), but what does good mean? The person that raised and harvested the first batch of roosters doesn't want to butcher these, which is fine. The only processor I know of serves a lot of the very nice restaurants in town but will process birds from smaller flocks. The downside is that it is a $50 minimum. We have 9 roosters that are between 4.5 and 6.5 lbs, with the largest and heaviest being Cuckoo Marans. They are just about four months old now. If we had the room, I would let them continue to grow, however, we just don't. I don't expect our family member to take them after their hens were a bit traumatized by only five roosters, let alone the 9 jerks and two babies that we won't be keeping. Since there is a $50 minimum which usually will do 18 birds, we aren't getting the best deal by processing. That being said, we raised the birds organically and with plenty of variety, and will lose money if we sell them at auction. Is it worth $5 (in northern CA) to process each bird just to get it done and have a little meat? Or sell and just get rid of the bastards if we don't want to keep growing out or process on our own?

I don't know where you are located, but many places have feed stores that will buy roosters. If they are good looking healthy birds they pay more than $5 each. I take my extra roosters to a certain feed store that is known for it's chickens. They are purchased by others that need/want to breed and want a good healthy rooster. You can try to sell, but it's not always easy, everyone has too many roosters! It's not fair to the girls to be abused by the roosters, get them gone ASAP! Good luck. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom