Should I help the chick out... need help quick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tmb3fan, Feb 15, 2009.

1. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    I had 6 eggs in bator to hatch yesterday or today. Well 5 hatched yesterday and the last one has been peeping inside the shell since yesterday but hasn't pipped. I am worried that he is going to run out of air and die. Should I make a small crack somewhere to get him started?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Because hes the last egg you wouldn't be endangering the others by opening the incubator. So yea you could tap a air hole in it an then put it back. misting hot water in the bator to get the humidity back.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    On the other side of the coin, I never help a chick out, if he is strong enough he will make it if not he won't.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    most of the ones that couldn't hatch, that I helped out of the shell, seem to die a month later of no obvious cause, fine one day, dead the next morning.

5. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I have helped several out of the shell. Some made it a day or so, one made it 3 days and died for no apparant reason.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    some I have helped out have just been stuck due to humidity problems. You can help it out, but don't be surprised if it isn't a vigorous chick. Be surprised if it is.

7. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    Quote:there probably is a good reason why the chicks didnt pip yet and if he was a strong healthy chick then he would of made it out on his own.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I am still in my learning curve phase of incubating and have tried various humidities, some with disastrous or partial disastrous results, and managed to save some that went on to be regular chickens. A dry egg is different from a defective, weak chick. If you know your temps and humidity has been off, or you had a bad temps spike, that is differrent from things humming along just about right and some don't hatch. Also, in the still air, there are areas of the incubator that are cooler than others, and that chick might just be a late hatcher. Sometimes I have ones that hatch two days after the others, because of still air, and those are usually the ones stuck to the shell that might make it. Ones that pip early and don't hatch, or peep and don't pip early, I don't try to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by