Should I insulate the walls of my coop/minibarn?

Toddrick

Songster
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Indiana
The 6x8' minibarn I bought just has the thin outer wall like most. I'm about to install the roost and nesting boxes, but I keep going back and forth on whether to put another thin layer of plywood up to cover and protect the 2x4 frame and better insulate the coop. I doubt I will actually use insulation but an 1/8" of plywood would provide a good deal of insulation and keep the birds from pooing on the base 2x4's.

Looking for help to make the final decision and recommendations based on experience.

Last edited:
i used insulation and spray foam in my inner coop and I think it was worth it. the less energy they expend on heating the more they have for eggs. that said, the biggest effect I've had on laying production is adding a window. I found double pain samples being thrown away at a near by window store and installed them just a few weeks ago and within a few days all the chickens starting laying again, it was kind of mind boggling how much of a difference a little more light in the evening and morning made! a good thing to keep in mind as well, if you seal up the inner coop, you need to assure adequate air ventilation to get the ammonia out from their poop, otherwise it can burn their lungs. you'll also need to be mindful of them over heating in the summer. you'll probably need a way to increase ventilation in the summer and decrease it in the winter. it's all a balancing act.

More light and ventilation is very important! I just had a bad experience with rats moving into the insulated wall of my coop! I like insulation, in theory, but won't ever do the conventional wall/ insulated cavity/wall approach again! If you can beef up the R value, and the strength and chewability of the walls, go for it. The most effective insulation is in the roof, IMO, for protection from summer sun. Mary

I had 16" vents installed and the coop has two windows so those areas shouldn't be a concern.

I am leaning towards no plywood inside the walls because I do not want mice living in there. I also don't want to spend a lot so it would only be 1/8 or 3/16" plywood, which mice would probably easily chew through. But I could partially plywood the walls, leaving 4" of so open at the bottom so chickens can't squeeze under there to poo, and mice can't hide a nest there.

Last edited:
Mice are amazing climbers. They would quickly figure out how to beat the system.

I have seen them figure out that they could get in through certain ridges in my metal roof. That led them onto rafters and down to the feeders. They were only using the ones right by rafters!!!

Lots of mouse traps and bucket traps later as well as sealing the ridges we are mouse limited. (Never truly mouse free)

I should have mentioned as well that my coupe is evnveloped with hardware cloth that goes two feet into the ground all the way around. there is no way for rats to get inside the coop, well, you know, no way so far.

The 6x8' minibarn I bought just has the thin outer wall like most. I have been around the sun 67 times and have been keeping birds for decades. If it were a metal shed I would recommend insulation. Personally in your case I would not bother. Always be on the look out for a hen that may need a little extra TLC. Feed extra whole corn through the cold months in an extra feeder they will do just fine (as long as they are a cold hearty breed).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom