Should I involve my children in my first slaughter of roosters?

smile.png
i would have to let the kids decide for themselves, but I grew up on a farm many moons ago. The buchtering of cows, pigs and chickens was just simply a way of life. Hunting and cleaning deer, rabbits quail, fish and even some squirrels.Everything is on the food chain, I'm just lucky enough to close to the top.

Last edited:
Quote:
i guess that's why they say "ignorance is bliss"

Edited to add - to the OP.. as others mentioned, i would wait a few times until you are really comfortable with the process. you will get better w/ practice, so the first time may not be the best time to have the kids watch. also, using a cone instead of an axe and stump may be less traumatizing (from my experience).

i think it's great that you are trying to teach your kids where their food comes from... we need more parents like you!

Last edited:
Quote:
I think that it is a great idea so that children understand where food comes from. Do not make them if they are uneasy however. Perhaps you should do alot of research (because you are nervous as you stated in you next post) before you do it. You want a clean kill so you do not traumatize the kids( or make the chickens suffer ) Most kids don't appreciate or understand where their food comes from and some people are okay with that. Its a personal preferance.

I would also leave it up to the kids. My older 2, 13(girl) & 11(boy) don't have any problem but the have been hunting with me since they were 2 years old and both shot their first deer at 7. My daughter a dancer, classical musician, top of her class and cheerleader is the first one to want to help, but that is her choice. They will help if and when they want but no child should be forced into helping slaughter!

I have watched the videos and read very good tutorials here. I also participated in the process a few times when I was a young teenager. The basic knowledge is there I just need to step up and initiate the process. It is very hard looking at these really beautiful animals and consciously making the decision and then carrying out the killing process. I think once they are dead, the actual cleaning and plucking will be relatively easy. I need to take my own advice and not be a hypocritical meat eater myself. Talk is easy, deeds are a little harder.

I would really like to have a somewhat self sufficient hobby farm and raise several different types of animals for food. This is a good place to start.

I will let you guys know.

I think it should be their choice. Maybe not on your first time though. Maybe wait until youre comfortable and get the hang of it, then maybe ask if they would like to have a part in that. If it doesent freak them out too much it will probably be good experience for them.

Yes, you should. Just don't make a big deal out of it whatsoever.
When I was very little up until I was about twelve, I helped my grandmother by running down and catching the chicken she pointed out; then I'd get buckets of water from the spring for the big black kettle. Next I'd ring the chickens neck and watch it flop around. Didn't bother me at all. I realize now that she never discussed/prepared me for the experience, so I just took it in stride.

Yep, I'm with Joe on this one. It won't scar them for life to see an animal death and processing. If they can't watch the actual death, they can at least help gut/process the birds. You can molly coddle kids until the cows come home but it won't teach them a thing in this life. Eating meat means something had to die and they aren't too young to learn that bitter fact. Just one of life's many lessons learned sooner than later.

I agree with Joe. I think they should be made aware, maybe not help the first time out, but eventually, they would have to help put their own food on the table. For those who do not want to slaughter and want no part of it, then they should take on other tasks after being shown how to slaughter at least one time, just for the sake of the knowledge. Then if they never slaughter, that is fine. Give them the task of feeding or cleaning. Around here everyone does something, and we all have our preferences. You aren't excused simply because your short and cute
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom