Should I keep bald Mary warm?

LoveMyGurls

Chirping
Oct 10, 2021
UK
Hi everyone. I'm laid in bed with Covid and have not had a great week but I'm alive and today breathing has become easier. I've been told that my little Mary that I got as a rescue who has very little feathers is struggling with the cold as it's -1 here at the moment and so what should I do? Do I make her a little coat? She's such a tiny little chicken for what she should be and I'm worried as her little parson's nose is very red too. Any advice is gratefully received. Oh, I've got no money but I do have some sewing skills and I've got some bits and bobs in the house that I can cut up and make something, and of course, I have time on my hands. :)

Hi everyone. I'm laid in bed with Covid and have not had a great week but I'm alive and today breathing has become easier. I've been told that my little Mary that I got as a rescue who has very little feathers is struggling with the cold as it's -1 here at the moment and so what should I do? Do I make her a little coat? She's such a tiny little chicken for what she should be and I'm worried as her little parson's nose is very red too. Any advice is gratefully received. Oh, I've got no money but I do have some sewing skills and I've got some bits and bobs in the house that I can cut up and make something, and of course, I have time on my hands. :)
Is she molting?
If you have photos that may be helpful.

Does she roost or sleep on the floor?
What's your coop/run like?
Extra bedding/straw for her to snuggle in.
Have a protected area outside if possible to help block wind so she can get outside but still have a place to get comfortable. I usually stack a few straw bales strategically in the run so the girls can settle behind them.

If a hen is in good health, then they should be able to endure cold weather, but if she's struggling, then she may benefit from a saddle made of fleece. http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html

Is she molting?
If you have photos that may be helpful.

Does she roost or sleep on the floor?
What's your coop/run like?
Extra bedding/straw for her to snuggle in.
Have a protected area outside if possible to help block wind so she can get outside but still have a place to get comfortable. I usually stack a few straw bales strategically in the run so the girls can settle behind them.

If a hen is in good health, then they should be able to endure cold weather, but if she's struggling, then she may benefit from a saddle made of fleece. http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.htmlHel
Hello, she came to me like this from a commercial farm. She's been badly henpecked. They have a coop full of straw and we've added extra. I have got a photo on another thread. She only has feathers on her wings and now her head. She's not been pecked at all by the others and my run is large. They have an area covered with canvas and I've added branches in a corner so they can get in there too. I leave the little run under the coop open too. She does sometimes stand looking like her wings are up high so I think she is cold so we've given her some warm mash. It's just very cold here today but no wind today at all. Thank you for the link. I will take a look. :)

Poor thing!
Sounds like you are taking measures to make housing comfy!
If she's really bare, then then a fleece saddle may be helpful. I've used saddles for protection from roosters, these were made from standard cotton blend material. I didn't have any issues using them, but did inspect the fit of the saddle and the skin on the back frequently (at least once a week) to ensure all was well.

Fleece is easy to work with and is forgiving, but if you have sewing skills and material, a saddle like this one can be made too https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/how-to-make-a-chicken-saddle-zbcz1604

Poor thing!
Sounds like you are taking measures to make housing comfy!
If she's really bare, then then a fleece saddle may be helpful. I've used saddles for protection from roosters, these were made from standard cotton blend material. I didn't have any issues using them, but did inspect the fit of the saddle and the skin on the back frequently (at least once a week) to ensure all was well.

Fleece is easy to work with and is forgiving, but if you have sewing skills and material, a saddle like this one can be made too https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/how-to-make-a-chicken-saddle-zbcz1604
I'm going to have a go with a bit of fleece tomorrow as I have some squares. They are cheap and don't matter if I mess up. I'm in iso so will have to guess and give it to my kids to try on her tomorrow. She's about to go to bed in her straw-filled coop soon so she will have the other three to warm her up. They all climb into the nest box together so I've taken out the pole as they never use it and just makes it uncomfortable for them. They seem to prefer to nest down rather than roost up. They are all commercial though and never had something to roost on though one of them loves to get up on a branch outside. Thank you for your reply. :)

I have used polar fleece saddles like the ones in this thread before when I had a few with bare backs:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html
These require no sewing, and you just put them on the wings to hold them in place. Mine were about 7x9 inches with 2 slits (not too big or they fall off) for the wings. Put it on in the evening, so it doesn’t cause alarm from the other chickens at first.

Back
Top Bottom