Should I keep both Roo's?

Raeleefamily

In the Brooder
May 30, 2016
Yuma, AZ
Two of my sweet chicks have started to crow. They are 9 weeks old. Should I only keep one since I have a small flock of 5. One is definitely in charge and is constantly reminding the other. If I get rid of one, which one should I keep? This is my first flock.

With a flock of 5, you have no choice but to only keep one cockerel. Its up to you which one you keep. If I were you I would pick based on personality, not looks.

With only 5 in the flock I wouldn't keep two roosters. They would likely get along with each other but the poor hens will have bare backs constantly from all the breeding. I'd keep the one that is the most gentle and protective of the hens. Even if he's a little nasty to you, they are the ones living with him.

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I will rehome my favorite, dang it. He is sweet with me but is already picking on my pullets and challenging the other roo constantly

Truthfully, if you can re-home one, see if you can't both. IMO, roosters are a crapshoot, and take a little experience. Some turn out wonderful, but if you read on here, many, many times the darling becomes the nightmare.

I would just have pullets this first year. An all hen flock is a comfortable flock to start with, later as you gain some experience begin looking for a local rooster, trying to get one close to a year old. Often times this rooster has been allowed to live in a larger flock because he is so darn nice. That is the rooster you want to start with.

there are many aspects to keeping chickens. Fresh eggs, baby chicks and a broody hen, roosters with a flock, raising your own food... but these do not all have to be done the first year. My advice is to work into the hobby.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom