1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I keep my eggs positioned "up" in lockdown, after taking out egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bahamabanty, Mar 17, 2016.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I usually hatch in my brinsea mini eco and always with eggs "laying down". I am borrowing my friends little giant with egg turner and when I candled I noticed all the embryos are located close to the air sack. This was new to me because in my brinsea mini eco, where I hatch without egg turner, the embryos are always somewhere "half way in the egg"... if that makes any sense.

So in the LG, once I take out the egg turner, do I need to keep the eggs in upright position, in a egg carton or something, or is it safe to lay them on the side during lockdown, would it affect my hatch rate?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    If they are not shipped eggs I would just lay them down for hatch as you usually do. In my Brinsea octagon I incubate with them set up right between the dividers. If they are not shipped I lay them down for hatch amd they are fine, no problems. Shipped eggs with wonky air cells I would hatch in cartons.

Good luck with your hatch :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by