Should I keep them together?

Armstrong5

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Hey guys I just got 12 baby chicks last Friday from Cackle and was planning on getting four more from my local feed store. Should I keep them together or keep the four new ones seperated?

I'm not sure biosecurity goes that far...but, do what you feel comfortable. Both sets of chicks will be from hatcheries and it's doubtful that they will be carrying anything. There is a slight chance that they might pick up something at the feed store but again, doubtful.

You need to keep them separate for a week or two before you put them together. You want to make sure no one is sick because you are mixing your flocks. Then they should be fine, just watch for pecking. Good luck. :)

Thanks so much yeah I was just worried about the some of them getting sick but yea I will keep them sepereated for about a week or two i guess.

If you are comfortable with the hatchery you are getting them from, I would put them together. If you wait 2 weeks its possible when putting them together then there might be some picking on etc. By getting them together now at a young age they will all get along fine as they grow.

I was wondering the same thing :) I am not too worried about bio as I know where both sets of mine came from and the three I am getting today have been on hold set aside for me for the past two weeks, I was mainly worried about any picking on each other issues, they are all about 3 weeks and starting to get feathered out pretty good, boy do they grow so fast!

If you are comfortable with the hatchery you are getting them from, I would put them together. If you wait 2 weeks its possible when putting them together then there might be some picking on etc. By getting them together now at a young age they will all get along fine as they grow.
Agreed, the older they are when you put them together the more problems you will have. That's one of the great parts of getting baby chicks, they can all grow up together...

And when you put them together now,
They will generally remain a close knit
group from there on out. Any group i grow out
& add to the flock, each group stays in their
own little clique.
hugs.gif

Welcome
highfive.gif
aboard......

Back
Top Bottom