Should I leave my chicks in the run?

Vrcrow

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Help! My husband and I are trying to decide weather to make a portable run, or let out chicks run free with a 4ft fence? We are worried they will jump the fence if we let them roam free. We obviously can't stay outside with them 24/7, but I Don't like leaving them "locked" up all day. Or is there a good way to get them on a good schedule. Let them out for a while and then back in the run? ? We are newbies lol and just want to do the best for them :D

Thanks for all your help!!

Jumping the fence depends on the chicken itself. Mine free range with free access feed and don't jump the fence but that doesn't mean yours won't. With chicks I prefer to keep them in a run if I don't have a broody hen with them because of predators. Chicks are easy prey for stray cats, dogs, snakes, and hawks during the daytime. Once mine are close to grown size (harder to catch) and flying well I let them free range.

We have Buffs, they are only 3 days old but just want to prepare ourselves. What type of chicks do you have? How long do you consider them"chicks"? Thanks for your reply as we are very new to having these babies
2665.png
2665.png

Usually I consider them chicks until they are 6-8 weeks old, fully feathered, and can stay in an unheated coop by themselves. Right now I have Java, Silkie, barnyard mix, and Polish chicks. Grown I have Dominique, RIR, Gold sex link, Silkie, Barnyard mixes, Langshan, Jersey giant, and Blue Sumatra.

Back
Top Bottom