Should i leave them to sort things out?

E-AK(TM)

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
So i sold my big tom today (my first sale) and now the hen is by herself in the coop. I put one of the younger toms in with her and they started fighting so i separated them . Now i'm wondering if i should leave them alone and let them sort out the pecking order or should i leave them separate, could it be dangerous..... Also, how old should a tom be before he can mate?

Last edited:
Jakes (males over 6 months < 1 year) will start getting serious by 8 months - earlier if they see an older male breeding a jenny/hen. If the hen is an adult she'll straighten out the jake pretty quick. Unlike chickens, that one can introduce to flock through fence and thereby decrease integration issues, turks just have to work out the social order. So long as the jake is big enough to hold his own and the two of them have quite a bit of room to move around (get away from the other if they want) I'd just check them every so often.
Sparring between the sexes isn't nearly so intense or prolonged as that of `flock-ordering' within sexes, though there are exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom