Should I let chickens out of run ?

killer_diller_chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Red Bluff ~ Small town U.S.A.
I wanted to let my chickens out for the first time this weekend. I have had them 1 week. They are 11 weeks old 1 boy / 1 girl They live in a 8' x 20' run. I do not know if it is me , but they do not seem like they have been handledvery much.I can't touch them let alone pick them up. The fence near their area is 4' high with some sparse bushes.
Should I go for it or wait until they are tamer?

If you were to supervise them, I'm sure it would be ok. You may want to carry around a broom to shoo them away from the fence if they get too close.
wink.png
Oh, and be prepared to go on a wild chicken chase to get them back in their run.

Personally, I'd wait until they were more familiar with you and their new run/coop. Is there a special treat they really love??? If so, and you do let them out, I'd have some handy to lure them back "home" with when it's time to go back in the run...

I'd give them another week or so in the run and I'd spend time setting next to them giving them treats as much as possible between now and then. Food/treats is what makes them love you.

I waited a long time to let mine out. They were around 15 weeks. I freaked cause I was sure they would all bolt for the road. Amazingly, they stay in the back yard. I'll stick the waterer out in front of the pen, sprinkle some food around, and they seem totally content to mill around there.

Even more amazing to me was when twilight set in. I had the vision of having to chase them all back into the coop. Nope. They all file in and I just shut the door.
lol.png

at 11 weeks mine were hard to catch, so I used a bucket with scratch to catch them. I would shake the bucket and they would come running. now that they are older they follow me all around and usually come when I call them.

I would wait another week. Then I would wait until just about 45 minutes before dark so they go back indoors. Repeat this several days and then let them out a little longer if you want. Just until they know where they are supposed to go.

I agree with waiting til it's close to dark. I know if mine escape out in the day, I'm in for a long chicken hunt or I just let them stay out til dark.

Back
Top Bottom