should I let' em fight it out?

fried okra

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
This is my first post, so I don't know if this is in the right forum. I just got 2 bantam roosters last night. The previous owner has had them for awhile, and kept them in the same coop, with apparently no problems.They rode 300 miles in the back of the car, in the same cage and behaved great. I put them in their coop at my house this morning, and for the first 30 minutes, everything was fine. Then my daughter walked up to see them and the roosters started fighting like crazy. I figured it wouldn't last long but they kept at it. I made my daughter walk away, just in case they were fighting because she came up. That didn't do any good. I finally separated them, and put one in a small cage.

Do roosters usually do this when they're put in a new coop?
Any other reasons for this sudden behaviour?

They are probably fighting for new territory in their new coop. Are there any girls? That can also induce fighting for top roo. As long as not too much blood is shed, I would let them fight it out. If they don't give up, you might have to house them apart forever.

are there others around, that could add to the new need to establish who is tops? I would let them go as long as there isnt lots of blood. They are just establishing pecking order.

Changing their environment has shaken up their pecking order. I would separate them ASAP. Once they start fighting they can conintue until one is fatally injured. You may never be able to put them in the same coop together. Also with such aggressive behavior you might want to be careful allowing children around them unsupervised.

Quote:
You could always house the winner in the coop, and the loser in the freezer.
he.gif
barnie.gif

I think I'm gonna keep'em separated for the moment.Maybe let 'em try it out again later, and see what happens. One of 'em started bleeding so that's why I broke'em up. I don't have any other chickens, and the roosters are in temporary coops. Got the roosters unexpectatly, so I wasn't prepared for'em. But I live on a farm, so they have plenty of room.
As for children, my daughter is grown, so I don't really have to worry about her, but my little nephew and niece have always played with these roosters. They would take them in their grandma's house, set the roosters in a little toy wooden train car, and roll'em all over the house. It was the craziest thing you've ever seen.

I'm not sure what type of bantams they are. Purplish/black/greenish iridescent tail feathers, red/bronze back, and the chest has a goldish background with black spots. They are sure beautiful animals.

Thanks for everyone's advice. It's looks like it's gonna be very interesting raising chickens. I'm planning on getting some hens soon. I love fresh eggs.

Back
Top Bottom