Should i let her raise them???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thechickman04, Apr 10, 2009.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    I was wondering if its better to let a hen raise her babies or take them from her and raise them in a brooder

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If shes and the chicks are safe from predators then it will be fine to let her raise them. But if you think something might get them Id raise them in a brooder. Remember baby chicks can get out of the coop and run when the bigger chickens cant.

3. jprinc44

jprinc44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    south-central Va.
    I have one hen currently raising 3 and another raising one. They are in my 4' x 4' biddy box separated by a board down the middle to keep them apart until the little ones get bigger and the mama's decide to leave them. They definitely turn out smarter if the hen raises them, I think. Janet

4. Duncan

Duncan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Duncan, SC
    I have 11 chicks that one of my 7 hens sat on and am letting her do all the work. The only problem I have had is the chicks can get through the wire on the covered run and mama and the rest can't. They run right back in when I come up to let them all out.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There were two articles in this month's Backyard Poultry Magazine about letting a broody handle raising the chicks. Both authors were of the strong opinion that letting mama raise them is best. Both authors stated their beliefs that mama hen raises chicks that grow up to have more chicken smarts. They're better at finding food and watching out for predators, amongst other things.
    I just checked the Backyard Poultry website and neither article is availble to be read online, but if you can get your hands on a copy it's worth reading.

6. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    okay thanks everyone...i think i will just let her raise them...is it alright to move the hen and the babies to a new area after they hatch???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by