Should i let her raise them???

If shes and the chicks are safe from predators then it will be fine to let her raise them. But if you think something might get them Id raise them in a brooder. Remember baby chicks can get out of the coop and run when the bigger chickens cant.

I have one hen currently raising 3 and another raising one. They are in my 4' x 4' biddy box separated by a board down the middle to keep them apart until the little ones get bigger and the mama's decide to leave them. They definitely turn out smarter if the hen raises them, I think. Janet

I have 11 chicks that one of my 7 hens sat on and am letting her do all the work. The only problem I have had is the chicks can get through the wire on the covered run and mama and the rest can't. They run right back in when I come up to let them all out.

There were two articles in this month's Backyard Poultry Magazine about letting a broody handle raising the chicks. Both authors were of the strong opinion that letting mama raise them is best. Both authors stated their beliefs that mama hen raises chicks that grow up to have more chicken smarts. They're better at finding food and watching out for predators, amongst other things.
I just checked the Backyard Poultry website and neither article is availble to be read online, but if you can get your hands on a copy it's worth reading.

Back
Top Bottom