1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I let my chickens free range in winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amomwithbirds, Sep 8, 2013.

1. amomwithbirds

amomwithbirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    This is my first flock. I was nervous about free ranging period but so far so good. But winter is coming and I was wondering if I should let them out when there is snow on the ground. Will they even leave the coop? Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Mine don't care to wander around in the snow. I shovel their run or they will stay inside for days.

3. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Mine too!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Most don't like a lot of snow, but will deal with an inch or so, especially if there are bare spots, or you shovel or walk down paths for them. It does vary by individual chicken and breed though. Some of mine think that one snow flake makes it impossible to go outside, I think my one blue cochin didn't step foot outside between October and March last year. Other ones, the bigger breeds and Wyandottes, EEs and Ameraucana especially, don't have a problem with a couple of inches of snow and will march around complaining there is nothing much to eat whole time.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Absolutely! They need exercise and fresh air. If you have deep snow then shovel some walking areas.

[​IMG]

6. amomwithbirds

amomwithbirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks everyone. The info is very helpful. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by