Should I lock up my chickens the entire day?

Opossums are great climbers, as are raccoons. Hawks don't need to climb. I think those would be the biggest concern. Personally, I'd leave them in the garage. It's one day - they'll get over it. You might want to consider building a small, secure, covered run attached to your coop for future events such as this.

Get one of those glowsick lights, like $4 at walmart. They have I think an 18 hour battery life. They are not too bright, and come in different colors. You can tack it up and they would have plenty of light.

I should have listened to you guys and put them in the garage :(
I put them out in that little... observatory?
Will they be ok on 40-degree weather with no shelter ubless they decide to crawl into the many boxes? CN possums climb down 10 ft walls?

I should have listened to you guys and put them in the garage
sad.png

I put them out in that little... observatory?
Will they be ok on 40-degree weather with no shelter ubless they decide to crawl into the many boxes? CN possums climb down 10 ft walls?
40 degrees is not too cold for a chicken. It gets a lot colder than that here in MN, and mine will still go outside on their own (as long as they don't have snow to deal with). What's done is done, don't worry about it. Enjoy your time away from home. As I stated earlier, though, you may want to consider building a run onto your coop so you don't have to worry about it in the future.

We're planning to go out of town tomorrow, and the chickens can't stand being locked up. I don't have a run for them; it's only a little coop with barely enough moving space (I only have two chickens). They free range all day, and I have a desk right in front of the yard to "supervise" them. They only sleep and lay eggs in their little coop. Opossums have been coming around since it's getting cold lately, and I'm afraid to let them out unguarded for so long, but when they get locked up they squawk. Really loudly. So we're planning to keep them in the garage and lock them up there. Would this work? It's really dark in the garage, and I'm afraid they'll lose their minds being in the dark so long. What should I do?

Can opossums climb walls? For now weve decided to put them in the place out in the open but fenced off.
I'm not directing my comments specifically towards you, Scout. So, don't take offense. But you do a wonderful job laying out the issues surrounding the little pre fab coops that most likely have very little natural lighting or ventilation, very little room, and the problems associated with not having a secure run.

Note to all readers:

Oppossums as well as raccoons, and weasels are incredible climbers and can get into very tight spots. A small weasel can get through any opening that a quarter could be pushed through. All of these predators will sneak into a coop and kill a chicken while she is sleeping on the perch. At night, chickens are totally defenseless. An oppossum will eat the breast off a hen while she is sleeping on the perch.

When setting up a flock, it's necessary to do a risk assessment based on your needs. That includes looking at: available space, available money to spend on your bird's housing, and awareness of the types of predators in your area. Don't be lulled into the belief that "I've never seen such and such a predator, so... they are not around here." Do an actual web search for the predator's possible habitat. Weasels can be found in all 48 states. Then do a web search for the behavior and methods that predator uses to kill his prey. Live in the city? so do weasels, skunks, raccoons, oppossums, foxes, big rats with big teeth, hawks, dogs, ferral cats, and the list goes on and on. Only after doing all of that and planning your housing based on your goals, is it appropriate to plan your flock size.

While some of us will attempt to build Fort Knox housing, for others, that's simply not practical, and we will choose to do the best we can with the materials we have available. Even realizing that in some cases, a bird who is free ranging is actually safer than one that is shut in a coop with a fully enclosed chicken wire run.

Back
Top Bottom