Should I move broody hen in cage?

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
I have a first time broody hen. (My youngest lol) I can't say how far along the eggs are but, by the timing , within a week to hatch (one maybe sooner - she stole another one along the way) I have 8 other chickens, including a rooster. To be honest, I don't even know if they are all even fertile because I used a small flashlight and I really couldn't see much because the eggs are too dark. I think we have one winner though.

I am babbling, sorry. Should I place her in a dog kennel and keep her in the coop? She is in the coop laying on her nest right now, and am not sure if I should separate her that way, so the other chickens can still see what is going on? I have a full time job, so this can happen when I am not around. I don't know if the others will harm the babies or if they will run off and never be seen again.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

As long as the flock is not disturbing her or adding eggs to the clutch, I would not chance moving her until the chicks have hatched. Then I might consider separating her from the flock until the chicks are completely mobile.

Back
Top Bottom