1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I move her???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pamperedpoultry, Apr 24, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I have a hen, well now 2 hens that are setting on a nest of eggs. Their due to start hatching now. However their in a pen with my roo and 5 other hens. I really dont have the room or place to move them unless I just take the chicks(would like to let momma raise them) Am I asking for it if I dont move them??

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The roo or other hens may kill them or at least try to kill them. You'll have to decide what you are willing to risk. Sometimes it works out good and some times it is heart breaking.

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I would just keep a VERY close eye on them when they hatch, just to see how everyone reacts. Everything with mine went great but as Miss Prissy said, it may not end up that way.

Another option is to cage her off in her nest with a small area for food and water, just until she has them all out and dry and sturdy. Then she will protect them as much as she can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by