Should I move incubated eggs day 17 under a broody hen? Please Help!!!

Splashsilkies37

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
My silkie is def broody, although this is the first time she will ever be a mother. I have day 17 incubated eggs in the bator and was wondering if I could or should put them underneath her. She is currently sitting on unfertalized eggs. I really don't know what to do. Will the temp change and humidity change affect the eggs if I slip a few under her? And will she know what to do when they start to hatch in 4 days? I am not so confident with the bator, trying to get everything exactly right. I candled the eggs last night, for the final time and ten out of the twelve are good! What should I do?? Has anyone ever put day 17 eggs under a broody hen? Please HELP!!!!!!!

Three days. but this is her second time being broody. First time she sat for a day, and then two days later she started sitting, so we are actually starting day four.

Hi Jennifer! I move Day 17 eggs from incubator to broody hens all the time here. If I have enough broody girls, I don't have to fool with plugging in a hatcher and all the 'hatching mess'. I rarely let the hens raise the chicks, though, I take chicks as soon as they hatch and hand-raise them under lights inside.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

I am taking a huge risk with mother hen, and just hoping that she sits for another four days. I am really wondering if it will be worth it! I hope so! I too am planning on snatching the chicks when they hatch, I may leave one with her. Has anyone else done this before? How do I know that the temp changes wont effect the hatching process? I really do not know what to do! What are the hatch success rates when you do move them? so many questions......

I've done it and I like when the hens handle the hatching mess. I always let the broodies raise the babies because I'm not a fan of the dust and mess of a brooder and heat lamp. Now is the time because bonding begins when the chicks begin making peeping noises from in the shell and the broody answers them. The broody is the perfect temp and humidity for the babies during incubation and hatching - we can only imitate what she does naturally when we incubate in an incubator.

She is a little early in her broodiness to accept eggs. If it was her first time being broody, I'd say maybe not, but an experienced broody will probably do fine. I had 2 broodies brooding in the big pen; their hatches were due over 2 weeks apart. The black Frizzle (2nd time broody) hatched her eggs and was wandering around the coop with her new brood when the Welsummer hen (first time broody and less than a week on eggs) caught sight of the chicks. She came out of her nest making classic loving mama sounds to the babies and holding her wings inviting the babies under her. Of course the black Frizzle went ballistic on the Welsummer trying to woo her babies away and attacked her. I moved the Welsummer to a dog crate outside the coop because I really wanted her to finish her own eggs and not stress my Frizzle out. She finished her hatch, but it looked like she was ready to adopt the Frizzle's chicks, if only my Frizzle would've let her.

How funny that she wanted to be a moma to all the chicks! Thanks for everyones opinions! It is her first time being broody, but she is determined to sit. I have put her food and water close enough that she wont even get off the eggs to eat and drink. A couple more questions though.
Will she know that she cannot get off the nest because we are close to day 18?
If I put eggs under her at night, and took out the other two eggs that are not fertalized would that help?
And, how many eggs should I risk under a 7mth old silkie????
sorry for all the questions...I really want to weigh up the risks, and I know incubated eggs usually dont have a high success rate. This is my first time incubating and I want to get atleast two!!!(secretly hoping for all!)
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom