Should I move my broody hen and her eggs?

How do the hens get up there? Is there a ramp?
Your hen has chosen what she feels is a safe spot; from what you write it seems she is right and can defend her nest there. I wouldn't move her until after she's hatched her eggs. Ideally I wouldn't move her at all but provide a temporary ramp for her and the chicks. You will probably have to assist the chicks up the ramp at roost time but after two or three days they'll get the hang of it.
There is a ramp on the far right side of where my boxes are, opposite of their roosting bar.

Once the chicks hatch you might want to see how she fairs with the chicks... if they can navigate the ramp... or if you need to coax mom to set up a nest on the floor.

My fiancé loves me enough that he actually surprised me and built the coop when I was out of town last year, very sweet but unfortunately did no research and screwed the boxes to the back of the shed

He had to do something to stabilize them, otherwise the hens would knock them over when they hopped up on them. I screwed my nest I made out of a cat litter bucket to stabilize it.

I would leave everything alone, if you move the nest, I have tried, only to find the hen where SHE wanted to be, and the nest where I WANTED her to be full of cold, dead eggs.

I do hover, and start checking on day 20, I know they say 21 days, but.... however, I let her do it the way she wants, I just give the whole floor a grooming out several days before, put in fresh bedding. After they hatch, mine have always taken the chicks down, they jump that small distance with no problem, and gets them a drink and creates a new nest on the floor of the coop.

Really do not interfere too much, if you listen carefully you should hear peeping, a good sign, but don't try and peak, that just can upset the hen, and sometimes that will ruin things, it is so hard, but just leave them be.

At about 3 weeks, I will place a wide board up near my roosts, and my broody hens will get the chicks up there by week 4.

Hope it goes well, if it doesn't, get some day old chicks, and stick them under her. Nothing is more fun to watch than a hen and chicks.

Mrs K

I separated my broody(first one I have had) in a different coop. She wasn’t happy at first but then settled back on the eggs. I asked similar questions, and everyone’s opinion carries. That does look safe but chicks have a hard time with ramps. It took mine over a week to navigate the ramp. But mama knows best she will keep those chicks safe.

Maybe put another bucket on the floor under those so she can take them there after the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom