Should I move my broody hen to hatch her chicks?

One is now In the brooder pin with her baby and the eggs she was on. The other mama had a baby but she had smothered it. I'm guessing but it was dead it's the one I heard a couple days ago but didn't see. The next day I went and it was quiet so I thought I heard birds from outside. She went back up on the nest on the fresh eggs. She does not want to move but Shofar heard her baby and went right down to her on her own and is sitting on her eggs I carefully moved. I put food a warmer and water down in the brooder pin.
I left Alice on her new batch of eggs.

It's extremely confusing for you to keep posting on someone else's active thread. We will be happy to help you (and that includes me), but it would be much better if you would make your own thread, especially since you have made multiple posts here.

Thank you for the answer
in Denmark it’s around 62 degrees (at the most) and it has been raining for the past week and it will continue to rain heavily for the next 10 days or so. I have a crate with a lock so that she can’t come out if I decide to move her😊

Something in my gut is telling me to wait to move her until the first chick has hatched and then move her.
I will definitely block her nest off so no other hen can try and get in there.
However I’m very split between moving her or not as it is her and my first time with a Broody hen so I don’t know how she will react when that first chick comes out and if the flock can stress her out in any way😊
She is getting more aggressive towards me so I hope that means she is getting ready for the final stretch
I have a brooder all set up for her and everything is ready to go in case I feel the need to move her tonight or any other night😊
It seems like you have your plan(s) well thought out and ready to go, and now you are just waiting for chicks to arrive! I urge you to continue to follow your gut and intuition as far as whether to remove your broody before or after her chicks hatch. Our intuition rarely leads us astray; it's when we don't listen to it that problems often arise. And your intuition may change over the next few days, so listen to it then too!

It seems like you have your plan(s) well thought out and ready to go, and now you are just waiting for chicks to arrive! I urge you to continue to follow your gut and intuition as far as whether to remove your broody before or after her chicks hatch. Our intuition rarely leads us astray; it's when we don't listen to it that problems often arise. And your intuition may change over the next few days, so listen to it then too!
Thank you for the answer, I’m gonna keep an eye on my broody and take it from there but for now she is staying with her flock until a baby is hatched😊
If a chick end up hatching is it best to move her at night with the chick and eggs or to move her right after the chick hatched?😊

UPDATE: yesterday it was day 18 and I got caught in a rabbit hole of horror story’s from other people when they left their broody hen with the flock and first moved her after the chicks had hatched.
So I decided to move her and i did, she is still laying on the eggs so it was a success and now it’s just a waiting game😊
It's easy to do, lol...people do things differently, and setups are different, do what you feel is best, it's all a learning experience.

I have found that if I disturb a hen that is setting more likely than not I break her broody and she will not reset and all is lost. This happens even if I remove her and her eggs at night. So I have learned to wait. I also found that when the little ones hatch, they stay under mama and do not wander around or try to leave the nest. I listen for the cheeping sound. Then I move them. Mama will not abandon a nest that has a hatched chick or two in it. I move the whole lot into a new, private cage with a cosy nest the chicks can get out of with food and water nearby. Then I leave her alone and quiet. Usually more hatch. After 3 days, I remove the unhatched eggs, and place in new, fresh bedding. . They were laid at different times. You could put the unhatched ones in an incubator and finish the job. I do not. I fed them to my dogs.

The last update: 6 little chicks hatched and she didn’t care that I moved her and is now raising the chicks 😊🐥
58837B05-1234-47D1-AB31-C6D45E077227.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom