Should I move my run away from the walnut tree?

Pics

Coopscraft

Songster
Jul 6, 2019
Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
3B2751C1-D76C-4F59-B09D-3A59D1A27C0F.jpeg
I will be building a new coop and run. Right now my run is under an old walnut tree. The chickens use it for shade. Will the used feed eventually kill the tree?

(Yes, my son caught the leghorn by himself.)

I don't think you should worry about your tree dying from chicken gumdrops.
I know it is considered HOT, unless composted for growing veggies.
When I clean out my coop, I take contents of coop cleanout, (poop,bedding, and whatever else) and drop it at the base of my ornamental trees. I try to give some to each tree. Rain slowly dissolves contents, and it goes into ground. My day-lilies also benefit from the natural fertilizer.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and:welcome

(Yes, my son caught the leghorn by himself.)
What is he going to do to her?!?!....put her in that bucket of water?!?(which is rather deep for chicken safety).

I wouldn't worry about the tree, good idea to keep lots of carbon(wood chippings) in the run to help 'eat up' the nitrogen reducing stink and detriments to the tree.

What is he going to do to her?!?!....put her in that bucket of water?!?(which is rather deep for chicken safety).

I wouldn't worry about the tree, good idea to keep lots of carbon(wood chippings) in the run to help 'eat up' the nitrogen reducing stink and detriments to the tree.
He’s a little scientist. He wanted to see if she would swim. Fortunately she flew instead. I immediately informed him that dropping live chickens in the water is against policy. The crazy part of that whole thing is that he had just pulled the same stunt on the rooster. I caught him flying out of the water bucket but didn’t see what had happened before. Let’s say the three year old has been informed.

Btw, if you think a chicken would drown in a bucket like that, I should tell the story of Lazarus the chicken.

He’s a little scientist. He wanted to see if she would swim. Fortunately she flew instead. I immediately informed him that dropping live chickens in the water is against policy. The crazy part of that whole thing is that he had just pulled the same stunt on the rooster. I caught him flying out of the water bucket but didn’t see what had happened before. Let’s say the three year old has been informed.
LOL!! Sounds like a normal 3 year old!
I have two pecan trees in my run, never had a problem (other than being a squirrel farm).

Yes chickens can swim........ but not for long.
Anyone here come across the saying,, " MADDER THAN A WET HEN":gig
Copy and paste.
Exercise Caution When Taking Your Chickens Out For A Swim
Notwithstanding all this, chickens are capable of floating in the water and swimming short distances if the need arises. Studies have shown that chickens have a natural, inborn ability to swim without even being taught how to swim. As soon as chickens are placed in water, their natural instinct kicks in, and they start to swim. But there are also incidences of drowning and consequent death of chickens inside a bucket full of water, so you must be careful with your pets.

Another important thing to remember is that chicks cannot swim. It has been found that if baby chickens are put in the waterlogged area, they immediately drown and lose their life.

Here is link for more reading.
https://kitchenhow.com/can-chickens-swim/

Back
Top Bottom