Should I move newborns and mama from where they are? Please help.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Oegipus, May 23, 2010.

1. Oegipus

Oegipus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi everybody,

We have a chicken that created a brood in the woods near our house, and the chicks started hatching early this morning. We put a small run over her to protect her, and there's shade and protection from the sun. She's been there for three weeks, and we're worried that the nest is not clean enough for them. There's been a foul smell about the nest for a week or so, but it's mild. It's not a death smell, but probably poo or just rotting vegetation. In any case, I don't think it's good. She bites if I get close, and I haven't been able to inspect the nest, or check the chicks out.
    I have several questions.

Can I disturb the nest now, and somehow move the eggs and chicks and hen to a cleaner spot? Is this necessary? If I move the remaining eggs, will she continue her brood in the new location? I've read that they're quite prone to fungal infections, and I'd rather put them somewhere new...
    Is there anything else I need to do? Will mama take care of them on her own? I've provided water and food.
    Thanks, and please write back soon.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If it were me I would leave her alone until she is done hatching. Moving her now may upset her enough that she may kill the chicks that are already hatch and then abandon the eggs that haven't hatched. As soon as she is done with the hatch you could easily move her at that time.

3. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    Im no expert, but I would wait for the hatch to be done too. give it a day or 2, then move her and the chicks in the evening when they are ready for bed. I had a broody bantam that had no roo in her life but she was determined. I gave her some time with fake eggs, thinking she'd get over it after they didnt hatch. she sat that nest of wooden eggs for 2 months. Apparently she didnt know that was way too long. Anyway, she was in the loft of my barn, and we needed her to get out but every time we would get close she would bite, kick, peck, chase us, and try to spur up like she was a roo. We finally moved her a few days ago, but we had to wait till it was almost dark. As soon as I climbed up there in the dark, I picked her right up off the nest and she didnt even flap her wings or flail about. But durrinig the day we couldnt get within 10 feet of the nest without her chasing us.

4. Oegipus

Oegipus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    thanks so much for the sound advice.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would move her early this evening. The smell of chicks hatching may attract predators.

6. Tara Rose

Tara Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, I moved mine just before the hatch. The babies are hatching now in the garage. When I went to the hen house there was a large chicken snake eating the eggs. It would have eaten the babies for sure. But you will have to hold out until they are hatched since they already started, checking on her often may deter critters until the move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by