Should I move this pipped egg?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
IMG_6249.jpeg
The answer is probably “leave it be.”

But since I’m a worrier and an over thinker… this guy pipped on the bottom of the egg. It appears it might be zipping in the direction of going under the egg. Im wondering if I should roll it a little to give the hatching chick more space to zip. t’s basically the only egg in the incubator (there are 2 others but I’m 80% sure they were both late quitters).

I had some issues with the egg turner not working during incubation. The egg went approximately 4 days without being turned around day 7. Then later it went another couple days without turning around day 14. When I put the egg in lockdown, it wouldn’t lay with the writing up like I always place them. It kept rolling slightly to one side. I’ve never had, or maybe noticed, an egg do that before. I wasn’t able to determine if it was or was not malpositioned.

Do I roll it slightly, or leave it be?

Also there’s a smell coming from the incubator… one of those late quitters might be bad.

Well. my suspicion that the other 2 eggs had quit was wrong, because one more just pipped.

Unfortunately it also appears that my suspicion about the chicks having issues related to the lack of turning seems to be on point. This egg pipped on the top, but it’s on the wrong side. :barnie

Attachments

• IMG_6251.jpeg
    IMG_6251.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 4
I am not able to answer your questions since I am still absorbing a lot of information about hatching. I do appreciate your pictures of pipped chickes. Very helpful for someone who is learning about it. Thank you for your great pictures.

I too can get super caught up in the excitement and wanting to lend a “helping” hand. I am better now at following the lock down protocol. I’ve come to understand that when there’s one thing wrong there usually more than one and a struggling chick hatching, if humidity and temp are right, is best left to either work it out or expire. Usually messing with the incubator causes more harm than good during “lock down”.

Both eggs ended up hatching successfully on their own.

I did slightly roll the upside down pipped egg, but it rolled itself back 😂.

Thanks for the replies.
Both those eggs pipped the wrong end! Great that it turned out good! I'll never be convinced by the 'no turn' hatch people!

Back
Top Bottom