Should I paint the inside?

Iwannachicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Hoover, Alabama
Hi y'all,

We are trying to get our chicken tractor finished so the girls can move in. (They're 4 weeks old and getting too big for the brooder.)

I originally wanted to paint the inside, to make it easier to hose out, etc. That will make the whole project take longer.

Is it worth the time and trouble to paint the inside of the coop?

Thanks,
Karen

I painted inside both of my coops. both with 2-3 coats and caulked everything. I used OSB and wanted to get it as coated as possible. it also helps fill in small gaps that bugs can get into. also when its clean out day and you get done washing the inside and its all nice and white again.... ahhhh

Connie

I am painting the inside as well as the outside.
and yes it will make the project take so much more time.
I am using Benjiman Moore latex Porch Paint, it is enriched with epoxy and has worked so well on my front porch i felt this would be a good paint to use.

unless you used pressure treated plywood, I'd paint it.... I painted my inside because we used regular cheap plywood,and the paint will protect it and make it last longer, and yes, it's easier to clean.
smile.png

three words: Totally Worth It.

You're right, painting will make your project take longer and it's an added expense, but it's sooooo much easier to do it now while it's CLEAN. Once it has chicken poo on the walls, you're not going to be very motivated to paint it.

Paint on the interior isn't just for good looks (which it DOES have!). It makes the coop sooooo much easier to keep clean. It makes the wood that you used last just that much longer. It reflects light so that the interior is brighter. It's all win.

I painted with exterior latex paint for the walls and the floor. I cleaned out my coop for the first time in April. I swept the litter out and literally wiped the walls/floor down with water. It was that easy and it was just like new. I am soooooo glad that I painted.

Prime first - it will seal your wood and make your paint last longer and adhere better. Yes, it's one extra step, but an important one.

What about painting the inside "after the fact?" My chicks have been in their new coop and run for almost two weeks. If I paint the inside now, how long will they have to stay out of it due to fumes?

I used whitewash on the inside of my coop!
26963_coop_2009_012.jpg

I did it becuase I read that it sweetens the henhouse, and I love "old-timey" things.....The downside - you're supposed to redo once a year. Lots of whitewash recipes on the internet. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom