should I pip my 23 day eggs

Mine was like that the other day, they have died. I am sad . give them time to hatch, if they dont come out, the chickie is more likly very weak.

we did the float test, and the ones that we can feel the movement on when held between two fingers, has some rocking. I really wish they would just hatch already.

I have helped 6 or seven of mine hatch that were wiggling I believe the shell was too thick for them. I just gently cracked the top area and every couple hours remove some, most got out after the pip and a little weaking of the shell. It is just how I do it I refuse to just let them die.

I have done it before. And it was sad. here is a paragraph from Virginia techs' web site on poultry incubataion I wish I would have seen before I took advice from people that are just talking.____
Hatch Time
Do not help the chicks from the shell at hatching time. If it doesn't hatch, there is usually a good reason.
Also, prematurely helping the chick hatch could cripple or infect the chick. Humidity is critical at
hatching time. Don't allow your curiosity to damage your hatch.
As soon as the chicks are dry and fluffy or 6 to 12 hours after hatching, remove the chicks from the
incubator. It is good practice to remove all the chicks at once and destroy any late hatching eggs.
Hatching time can be hereditary and you can control the uniformity of hatching by culling late hatchers.
If you keep every chick which hatches late, in a few years each hatch could last 4 days or longer.

WOW..if the eggs are moving I would NOT suggest you throw it out or crack it open to see how far along it was
th.gif

If you think moving has slowed/stopped you can float test the egg(s) to see if the chick inside is alive. Use a cup of WARM water, let the water come to a complete still, gently set egg in water and let it come to a complete rest then watch for any rocking of the egg. Make sure there's no pips first though. I would give it till day 25. If no PIP and it rocks in the float test, you can gently PIP the blunt end of the egg (air cell) and gently peck away shell until you can see the inner membrane and then with your finger apply a warm drop of water to moisten the membrane. any veins STOP. If you see the beak has PIPs the inner membrane, remove more shell over where the air space is and put back in incubator, make sure humidity is UP, and wait till the veins go away in the membrane (it can take many hours). Any bleeding STOP and try again a few hours later.

To PIP I use a sharp steak knife, and gently (drill) a tiny hole, then use blunt tweezers to chip away the shell over the air cell.

and, be warned that any interferance can have a huge negative impact on the chick.

I have helped more than 50 chicks and maybe 5 had deformity alot can go wrong and they just need a little help. Alot of people cull weak chicks to me they are my pets and if you think about it a lot of babies need help out to they all don't just come out naturally.imo

I'm in the same boat everything hatched beautifully in 48 hours 15 out of 18. Did the float test one is quite active, although no chirpping or tapping or even movement really in the incubator. It's been 14 hours since the last hatch so I really think the little guy is stuck in there, I'm going to try to make a pip. I can't see a thing by candelling the egg is so full, and I can't even see the air sac or any internal pips so not sure where the best spot to make a pip is - I think I have to guess?

Back
Top Bottom