Should i push my luck?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jferlisi, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So my father has already let me have 22 chickens. 9 started off as theres but i was taking care of them they became mine. Then a friend asked if she could by some and we just house them here, well she later didn't want to take care of them and gave them to me and then i got a few for myself. My father has been very cool about it but i know he would prefer not to have this many chickens. So my question to everyone is. The feed store has silkie and polish chicks atm and my BF already said he would buy me some since i really like the look of the polish and i want another silkie since i lost one of my two, a couple of months ago right as she went broodie. My coop is plenty big enough for 3 more and i already have a brooder inside my coop for when my hens go broodie. They would be a present to me since our anniversary is coming up in two weeks. Should i have him get them or no? what do you all think?

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Go ahead and get them since your coop does have room for more [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Depending on your age (do not post it here)..... Under 18 I would ask permission. I say that as a parent who would be COMPLETELY mad at my child bringing a new bird into the flock without proper quarantine. Anytime you bring a new bird into your flock, they need to be quarantined for at least 30 days to make sure they are not sick. Obviously if they are a carrier you just don't know, but always quarantine!!! Sneaking birds into the flock is something my DH does..... NOT smart.

4. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I would say since you are already planning on letting your chickens go broody and hatch some out, then no, I would pass. If you only have room for three more, and your dad is being nice about having what he considers too many...I would pass. Tell your BF to get you a coop extension as an anniversary present

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    honestly, no matter your age, if you live with your parents and they don't like having 22 chickens, then NO don't get any more.
    Once you're in your own place, then you can have 10,000 if ya want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by