1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I put a heat lamp on

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crzychicken, Oct 6, 2008.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Hi I'm new to this chicken thing so I have 26 8 week old chicks, which I have (7 )bantams 2 barred rock banty 5 silkies. the rest are RIR,EE's Doms,Red Star, Leghorn,Astrops (sorry for the spelling I'm sure it's not correct)

Do they need heat. It will be freezing temps tonight, they have been out for 5 weeks they only had the heat lamp first 2 days when they first went into the outside coop which is 5X6 . I think they will be alright but not sure, I did put straw in and they have 3" of shavings. Should I put a heat light on for them or not ?
    Thanks
    Jody

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It wouldn't hurt them to have a light. That way the smaller ones won't get mashed by the bigger ones, if they decide to pile up to get warm. You could put it in the corner, so they could get under if they need it.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    At only 8 weeks old, they need the heat lamp for sure. They full feather about 8 - 10 weeks but are still small. I would have a heat lamp for them if it is below 50 personally.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Where are you that its FREEZING already?!?

I'd definitely put a heat lamp on them in freezing temps. I put heat lamps on for my adults when its gets below freezing too....

5. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks for the insight. I will put a heat lamp on for them. I justed didn't want them to get use to it and than be cold in the winter. I planned to use a light when the temps went down around 28-30 inside the coop. I also have a heated water base for their water does that give off any heat ?

Jody

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would also put a heat lamp in there. I would keep a heat lamp for a while longer, only at night though.

7. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    I live near NH boarder in Mass it was 28 last night here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by