should I put food and water in coop?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I am in MA and we are getting a Blizzard. Part of my run is covered but part isn't. I do have the covered part mostly wrapped with a part of the top of it not wrapped but the snow is still blowing in the run. My girls (and boy) are hanging in the coop still for the day. I have always heard not to put food and water in the coop but since they are not coming out should I put it in there for them for the storm? The auto door opened but the haven't even tried to venture out there at all and I don't want them not eating or drinking because of it.

There are pros and cons to both systems.

Some people throw straw down on top of the snow so the chickens will walk out. Some people put the food and water inside. Do what works for you. :)
Thanks. for today I had no choice but to put it in the coop since I don't have any straw to throw down and can't go out and get some. I will have to be sure to have some on hand for any other storms. We haven't had one this bad yet this year so the covered part stayed pretty much snow free so they went out in it and just didn't go in the HWC covered area that had snow. This time there is a dusting on their ramp and covered part of the run so they were NOT coming out.

We are expecting 24-32" of snow today and wind gusts up to 55

I have always heard not to put food and water in the coop but since they are not coming out should I put it in there for them for the storm?
(dry) food is alright and even preferable insider for as long as the coop is pest-proof. No water here as they either splash it in case of open water container or it will leak even more when freezing in case of nipple waterer. I bring water inside on the few days they absolutely can't go out and take it out an hour later once they done. There would be no issue if the coop was on a dirt floor.
The auto door opened but the haven't even tried to venture out there at all and I don't want them not eating or drinking because of it.
the same here

Here is my run tonight. The section where footprints are has a roof and sides have plastic besides about 12-15" at the top. The other part just has HWC on the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_20220129_172720464.jpg
    IMG_20220129_172720464.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom