should I put heat lamp in coop?

snozzleberry

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Hi all,
I am moving my first backyard flock into their coop today and want to know if I need to put a heat lamp in at first? The chickens are 10 weeks old and are hardy breeds. The overnight temps are averaging around 30 degrees. The coop has a deep pile of pine shavings and is a 4 by 6 structure with 2 vent holes that measure 4" by 12".
Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Wow! Where in the world are you that you're still having temps drop THAT low at this time of year???? At 10 weeks they should do okay - assuming they have been totally off the lamp wherever they've been kept up till now??? A weaning period is always nice.

I agree with Teach. If they've been weaned off their heat lamp already, there's no reason why they couldn't tolerate 30 degrees.

The only time you're likely to run into trouble is to take them from a warm, cozy brooder and stick them in a cold coop without an acclimation period.

I would put a heat lamp out. There are probably many folks who disagree since there is a fire risk with them. I am assuming that they have been used to some warmth. Is that correct? I would give it to them for a few more weeks. Good luck!
smile.png

Keep in mind that while it seems a kindness to offer chickens a heat lamp, it can actually be a hindrance. Let them adjust as nature intended to fluctuations in temps. and they will be ready to handle whatever mother nature throws at them.

At ten weeks I'd go without the heat lamp. I had my chicks in the big coop from day one in their brooder and I think I was done with the heat lamp at 8 weeks with temps in the low 40's.

well my jersey giants are just about 5 weeks old and im keeping the heat light off now but its still 70 im the brooder at night and up to 85 durring the day time ive been putting them in the run on nice days so they get used to being out side nowhopeing to have them in the coop without any heat soon

Back
Top Bottom