Should I put in a skylight for my coop?

Mr Grandcanyon

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 14, 2010
St. Johns, AZ
Hi,

I bought a KIT for my chicken coop... and it is nice but I'm concerned that there is NO window for light. If I close the door the chickens use to get out to the run, they are in the dark!

I have some left over greenhouse material that is very sturdy, diffuses the light and will withstand any inclement weather.

Should I cut a hole in the roof and cover it with the greenhouse plastic? I'm in Northern AZ and can have some snowy weather where I might want to close the door and use the smaller roof level airvent only but that will leave my birds in a dark cave!

Any thoughts?

Mr Grandcanyon

Larry, I agree about the skylights = leaks theory. That is why I removed 4 skylights when I had my house remodeled. Only left the one in the "landlocked" bathroom that lacked a window.

BUT! The coop has a flat roof that would be relatively easy to seal all around this sheet of greenhouse plastic stuff that is sturdy, diffuses light (my purpose in installing it is for light) and could be sealed quite securely with silicone sealant.

I wish I had an easy way to do a window that the chicks could gaze out of.... but I don't have the material and the sides are lap siding making it harder to install than cutting the flat roof....

Mr Grandcanyon

We simply cut squares out of the sides of our coop for windows. To keep predaters out we stapled wire mesh over that. In the fall we start to cover them with drywall to keep out the wind and rain. (We let our birds free range in the daytime). But chickens need light to lay.Its a must. I believe any type of window is better than none. The door to our coop is glass paned and that lets in plenty of light through our Michigan winters that the girls lay all the way through.

What about vents? Are there vents in the sides of the coop? If not, there need to be. The vents should be able to let in enough light if they're big enough to adequately ventilate the coop: aim for a total of 1 square foot of vent per chicken, ideally high up at the top of opposite walls.

I have a skyklight in one of my coops. No leaks. I put in sliders to close it off when it gets cold. The extra light is nice in the winter.

I have corragated metal roofing on my coop and put a clear piece on the one section to use as a skylight. it works really well. I hope it helps with winter laying
roll.png
I agree about vents, they help the chickens sooo much. I also can tell you it helps with the smell

I'm with elmo, make sure you have ventilation that can also double to let light in. I think you could use the greenhouse material to make the skylight if it were properly sealed, but you'd have to clear it off after snow to let the light in. BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for all the advice...

Yes, there is a vent already installed on the front wall just below roof level. It has wire over it and a slider that can close it.

I think I'll install the skylight. And I also like the idea of 4 mil plastic "curtain" at the front door to help keep out drafts and maybe then I won't HAVE to close the door.

I'll let you know....

Mr Grandcanyon

Back
Top Bottom