Should I put my Muscovy drake on a roost at night?

Birdmaster3

Chirping
Apr 24, 2023
I just read that Muscovies roost. So should I put mine on a roost till he learns to or leave him on the ground? And should I build a ramp because I don't think he can fly up? Should I just screw a log so it's the right size? Is a 2 by 4 on the skinny side to small?
Screenshot_20230521-130859~2.png

I just read that Muscovies roost. So should I put mine on a roost till he learns to or leave him on the ground? And should I build a ramp because I don't think he can fly up? Should I just screw a log so it's the right size? Is a 2 by 4 on the skinny side to small?View attachment 3513749
Lay the 2X4 flat so they have the wide side to roost on. Thats a nice idea in the picture.

I have three muscovy drakes. One always sleeps atop the dogcrate that his buddy, a pekin drake sleeps in.

One other muscovy occasionally gets up there -- mainly in the winter when it's cold, or if it's raining during the day. He doesn't like rain and goes back inside and sulks up there on wet days. My third muscovy is too big and heavy to get up off the ground to roost.

My advice is to offer a roost - flat side of a 2x4 not the skinny side, but don't try and make muscovy roost

Back
Top Bottom