Should I put this in my egg cartons when I sell?

Label claims can and will be investigated by the USDA. I would put nothing on your carton other than what's required by your state egg handling laws.

But if you want to hand out a pamplhet with each dozen eggs, then that's the route you ought go.
smile.png
That is just marketing material then rather than a "label claim".

Quote:
should be "and is listed as a mutt, and it lays green or blue eggs."

Sorry, I was a lit major, so I am always correcting everything!! ever need a proof reader, let me know!!!

Actually, not to be too picky, but that section would better read:

The Easter Egger chicken is an Americana cross WHICH is listed as a mutt AND lays green or blue eggs.

Also, for the sake of clarity, you may want to put in there where it's listed as a mutt. I looked through the thing and I think it's pretty good, I don't know if ur selling to ppl who know a lot about chickens or what, if they don't know anything about them you might want to clarify a few things. The parts that I thought may need grammatical attention I marked with parentheses, captial letters, and/or *. Good job!!!

Christina

~

My Hens Are Free Range, Pasture Raised, Naturally Fed, Vegetarian Fed, and Local. Fresh Eggs From Henry’s Hens.
Information about Pasture Raised eggs below ↓

Nutritional Information:
“Most of the eggs currently sold in supermarkets are nutritionally inferior to eggs produced by hens raised on pasture. That’s the conclusion we have reached following completion of the 2007 Mother Earth News egg testing project. WHEN compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:

• 1/3 less cholesterol
• 1/4 less saturated fat
• 2/3 more vitamin A
• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
• 3 times more vitamin E
• 7 times more beta carotene”

(Article From: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Foo … -Eggs.aspx)
Sustainable Agriculture Practices:
I use a chicken tractor and a fenced pasture and my hens (*) free range when I get home from school. The Chicken(*) (*)Tractor pasture raising system was pioneered by a Virginia *farmer *named Joel Slatin. This system provides the hens with fresh grass and insects to eat, provides a more sanitary environment, fertilizes “pasture” (aka our lawn), *AND it also provides the hens with fresh air and exercise they would never get in a industrialized farming operation.

Diet:
My hens eat Purina Layena sun fresh blend which is made all naturally and is a vegetarian diet. They also eat grass and insects found in the yard and when free ranging.

Breeds of Chicken:
Most of my hens are heritage (WHAT IS HERITAGE? Just in case u get a dumb customer) or endangered breeds. The Delaware is an endangered old American breed and is on the slow foods list *(what's the slow foods list?) and also the ALBC’s *(what's that?) list. The Favorrel*(sp?) is a French laying breed with a beard and feathered feet *AND *IS listed as threatened. The French Maran, *a breed new to the US, lays dark chocolate brown egg *which *are very rare. ** The leghorn is a standard production breed. The Easter Egger chicken is an Americana cross *which is listed as a mutt *and lays green or blue eggs. The Americana is a breed that is believed to have originated in South America and lays blue eggs.

**** Is this how ur planning to end your brochure??? You may want to think of something more conclusive, like, "Although to some people an egg will always just be an egg, there's nothing like home raised produce(or some word along those lines). There isn't anything that can beat the freshness and good taste of a farm fresh egg!!!

Something like that....I dunno....I'll shut up now LOL!!!

Last edited:
Thanks every one. Greyfields I think once it is done it won't even fit in the egg carton so i will just hand it out. I will clarify a few things first.

Thanks,
Henry

I think it's great- nothing like educating more people and getting them to think a little about where their food comes from!!

I concur with all the edits already suggested, plus I think you should explain "tractor"..... many people are going to be like, "What?!?!? He keeps his chickens in a tractor!?!?!!?", envisioning a farm machine!!

(Henry, I'm a graphic designer and freelance writer and if you want any help laying out this brochure, or your egg cartons' stickers or whatever, let me know. If I'm not too busy I would be ahppy to help!)

Here are my edits, below:

My Hens Are Free Range, Pasture Raised, Naturally Fed, Vegetarian Fed, and Local.

Fresh Eggs From Henry’s Hens.

Information about Pasture Raised eggs below ↓

Nutritional Information:
Most of the eggs currently sold in supermarkets are nutritionally inferior to eggs produced by hens raised on pasture. That’s the conclusion reached by Mother Earth news magazine following their 2007 egg-testing project. When compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:

• 1/3 less cholesterol
• 1/4 less saturated fat
• 2/3 more vitamin A
• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
• 3 times more vitamin E
• 7 times more beta carotene

(Article From: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Foo … -Eggs.aspx)

Sustainable Agriculture Practices:
I use a chicken tractor (a moveable chicken house) and a fenced pasture. My hens free range when I get home from school. The Chicken Tractor pasture raising system was pioneered by a Virginia farmer named Joel Slatin. This system provides the hens with fresh grass and insects to eat, provides a more sanitary environment, fertilizes “pasture” (aka our lawn), and it also provides the hens with fresh air and exercise they would never get in a industrialized farming operation.

Diet:
My hens eat Purina Layena sun fresh blend which is made all naturally and is a vegetarian diet. They also eat grass and insects found in the yard and when free ranging.

My chickens:
Most of my hens are heritage or endangered breeds; raising them helps keep old breeds and biodiversity alive.
The Delaware is an endangered old American breed and is on the slow foods list (www.slowfoodusa.org) and also the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy "Critical" list.
The Faverolle is a French laying breed with a beard and feathered feet and is listed as threatened.
The French Maran, a breed new to the US, lays a beautiful dark chocolate brown egg.
The Leghorn is a standard production breed that lays large white eggs.
The Easter Egger chicken is cousin to Ameraucana and South American Araucana chickens and lays gorgeous green or blue eggs.

(and here, some type of conclusion that summarizes your thoughts and passions about your chickens, eggs, etc. One or two sentences from the heart...)

Hope this helps!!
Stacey

I think that it's looking pretty good, and SeaChick's revisions seem quite complete. It clarifies things for people who don't know anything about the subject, such as what a tractor is.

Good luck!
smile.png

Thanks so much everyone. I sometimes forget people don't know as much as me about chickens or agriculture
big_smile.png

Thanks!!!!!,
Henry

Back
Top Bottom