should I register?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hcammack, Jun 20, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    http://www.mda.state.md.us/animal_health/poultryreg/index.php

I
    am wondering if I really need to register? I have 11 laying hens and the maximum number that I want to have is 15 ! I am selling eggs and I am not even sure if I should register under the Maryland egg law? How important is this? Will I get in trouble if I don't? are any of my fellow MD residents registered? are there consequences to me registering of now registering?

Thanks in advance I know you guys will give me good input,

Henry

2. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    the wording is kinda strange. IMHO

It reads to me that if you have a back yard flock and are going to be selling the eggs you should be registered with the Egg Law AND also this.
    But. If you are keeping the flock and eggs/chicks for yourself and your own consumption and NOT showing them at MD fairs then you do not have to register.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Who needs to register?
    Individuals involved in live poultry production including: Production facilities/farms, suppliers, dealers, haulers, wholesalers, live bird markets, and participants in Maryland's fairs and shows all must register.

Who does not need to register?

1. Individual producers/growers for integrators
    2. Individuals with layer flocks registered as a producer packers with MDA's Egg Law program
    3. Individuals with MDA certified flocks.
    (MDA has access to the above three categories through existing registration programs or from commercial integrators).

What are the priorities in registering?

* First Phase, the most difficult and most critical phase, is backyard flocks which include fair and show birds.

What is an exotic bird?
    Any avian species that is not indigenous to Maryland and is normally used for non-agricultural purposes such as companion pets, or for ornamental, exhibition, or entertainment purposes including budgerigars, canaries, cockatiels, finches, parrots, other cage birds and ratites.

I think this is a NAIS regulation more than anything else. and i am not sure how i feel about THAT either.

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I was wondering if I need to register since I will be showing and selling chicks in the spring. Do I need to register? How would I register?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    This is something that has to do with NAIS, and before you register ANYTHING I would talk to someone who knows the legalities of this. People haven't even been allowed to vote on this issue, and all they're doing is telling u to register your property (doing so, I can almost GUARANTEE, will make you part of NAIS) so they know who u are. It's a precursor for NAIS. If it's the law I don't know what you can do about it, but at least look into it first, just in case they're just trying to bully people. Good luck!!!

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I thought the wording and idea was strange also! I don't like NAIS so I am not sure if I will register. I do sell eggs but could not find anything online about the Egg law so I am not sure what to do :| It says nothing about having to register is does not seem to "required" so I am not sure.

Thanks for the input,
    Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by