Should I remove the hatched chick from the broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenphile, Apr 1, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    So far one chick has hatched. There are 5 or 6 left to hatch. Should I remove the chick from the broody or let her raise it until the others hatch? I am unsure when the little one hatched. I lifted her up and a little chick started chirping!

Thanks
    Chris

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    mama should be fine, just keep an eye out I hear that after a bit sometimes they get up with there chicks but it should be ok they usually make very good moms

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    awww, how cute! congrats to your new mommy [​IMG]

it depends. you can let the chick stay with her or you can take it. i would let her keep it because lone chicks get stressed out easily, especially when taken from their mother or siblings. also, if you do let her keep it she should stay on the eggs. hope i've been some help! [​IMG]

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    If you are worried you can place some chick starter & water beside the mama hen. I had to do this last year with a stuborn slikie that wouldn't come off the nest with the already hatched biddies. I eventually had to take her remaining eggs at 5 days after the biddies hatched. What type hen is it? Just keep an eye on it but the mama hen knows what she is doing unless of cource its the evil silkie mama hen [​IMG]

5. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    She is a dedicated buff silkie and this is her second hatch. I am thrilled that they hatched.

thanks
    Chris

6. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    She isnt around any other hens, is she? I would worry that the other girls would kill the baby. It has happened here [​IMG]

7. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I'd leave it with the hen. That's the great thing about using a broody they'll do the work for you. No need to make it hard on yourself.

8. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] Yes! I love that. I totally feel the same way. Its like the easy button for chicken raising if everything goes right.

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Leave him with her. I don't understand why you would take him away?

~Rio

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Right before a chick hatches it absorbs the yolk which provides the food it needs for the next 24-36 hours. That's why day-old chicks can be mailed across the country. It also works for hen-hatched chicks. It usually takes 24-36 hours for all the eggs in the clutch to hatch. The first ones to hatch can wait patiently for their siblings to emerge. Mama will stay on the nest that whole time too. Sometimes she'll eat the eggs' membranes to keep up her strength. Some time the next day she usually will take the chicks for their first outing, to eat & drink. Sometimes she'll return to the nest if there are more eggs left to hatch, and sometimes they will, but often those are duds.

Mama knows best! Leave the chicks with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by