Should I return the duckling to his mother? And How?

Qing Duck Mom

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2022
About a month ago, we found a little duckling on a busy parking lot. It followed us around. We tried to look for his family but could not find any. Worried that it would be ran over by cars, we decided to raise the duckling. It is now about 4 to 5 weeks old.

Yesterday, I went back to the parking lot and found a small pond with an aeration fountain nestled at a corner of the parking lot. In the pond, a duck family with dad, mom, and one duckling were swimming. The duckling looks the same age / size as the one we rescued. I am pretty sure that this is our duckling's family. Should I return our duckling to his mother? Would his mother recognize him and raise him? How to do that? Or should I raise him for about 3 months and set him free instead?

Thank you for your help.

About a month ago, we found a little duckling on a busy parking lot. It followed us around. We tried to look for his family but could not find any. Worried that it would be ran over by cars, we decided to raise the duckling. It is now about 4 to 5 weeks old.

Yesterday, I went back to the parking lot and found a small pond with an aeration fountain nestled at a corner of the parking lot. In the pond, a duck family with dad, mom, and one duckling were swimming. The duckling looks the same age / size as the one we rescued. I am pretty sure that this is our duckling's family. Should I return our duckling to his mother? Would his mother recognize him and raise him? How to do that? Or should I raise him for about 3 months and set him free instead?

Thank you for your help.
The mom will most likely not recognize this baby now
Also once you raise them they don’t do they well on their own
You have been giving it all it’s needs and keeping it safe from predators
Is there a rehabilitation Centre you could contact ?

Personally,, I would raise it until duck decides to leave on her own. If duck does not leave, then just keep feeding it.
Possibly mama duck would not accept a newcomer, and raise as her own. But you can try and see what happens. If little duckling swims by, and is not attacked, then maybe all will be fine. Ducks do hang around other duck groups,, and live in harmony. The baby duckling searches out her own food, from whatever is around the pond. Mama duck does not feed the young in way like pigeons feed their young. Similar to chickens. babies need to pick up their own food. Mama is there mainly for protection , and warmth.
I know chickens accept chicks,, but only when very young.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome

Back
Top Bottom