Should I See Movement When Candling??

angelbabyamy

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Myrtle Point, OR
This chick incubating has got me so stressed!! I'm on day 17 and when I candle my eggs do not see movement. I just quit looking halfway and didn't finish because I am just stressing myself out! I have polish, BLRW and Marans in there. Some of the Marans have clearer spaces that extend half way down the shell and then dark space on the other side. I don't see anything moving around. Should you see movement when you candle? I'm so afraid they are dead. The incubator has alwasy kept a steady 99.6, it has fans, but I have kept the humidity at 40-50%. There are several vents. Should I be worried or am I just paranoid?

At day 17 you should see a air cell at the fat part of the egg and the rest should be just dark. If your lucky and stand there in the dark with the flashlight shinning in it you might see shadows moving but at this point they are big and don't have much room in there. As long as there is a air cell there is something in there.
big_smile.png

I wish I had some answers for you, like evertything is fine, but unfortunatly I'm in the same place as you. Hopefully someone else on here will have better info. My hatch is due on March 3rd. out of 16 eggs I'm down to 4. I guess we will know soon. Best of luck.

Are u saying the dark area kinda circles around it..a lot of mine did that too and hatched

It's hard to see in maran eggs

What u need to do is..breathe

I candle lmao, in the bathroom
Sit in the dark, hold the egg with my flashlight under it, and slowly turn the egg..and pause, turn again..right at the edge near the clear white part, egg cell- is where I will see the movement

And when u go into day 18.. No more..lock em down

Seeing dark over 3/4 of the egg is good and then that 1/4 white or clear..no dark- is their air cell

In time u will get even better

Quote:
Yes, the dark part is curved, almost like two half circles, but then it is like the air part is curved around the top and into the side. They are mail order eggs (Maran). the eggs I purchased from someone local, do not look like that.

Quote:
The incubator is in our spare bedroom. I've been candling with the cone shaped part extension to a shop vac with a big mag lite flashlight inside of it. I was so wanting those eggs to make it, but they took 4 days to get here from Missouri to Oregon right in the middle of that big freeze/snowstorm that so mch of the US was experiencing.

Deep breaths and try not to worry... only some people are lucky to see movement in the eggs at this stage, if you look very closely you may see veins, but also veins may not be visable. I candeled on day 17 and with patients I saw 5/6 move and veins and 1/6 no movement and no veins.... im on day 20 now and that perticular egg with no movement and veining is rocking lovely, aswell as 4 of the others.... over time I have came to realise 'what will be will be'... and if some do not make it then there is a reason for it... I am quite good at sitting on my hands and enjoying the whole experience
big_smile.png

Happy hatching vibes sent your way
love.gif

Yup never saw clear veining or movement on my first hatch. I was sooooo worried that I was doing it all wrong (even though I have an incubator that is pretty fool proof). Out of 8 eggs that went into lockdown, 6 hatched. Three of those that hatched were shipped eggs that were shipped at the beginning of December, so lots of cold temps and lots of extra packages going through the mail system. All of my eggs that I set were either green or brown which makes it harder to see development. If you have a good sized air cell and the rest of the egg is dark then it sounds like you are right on schedule. Try not to panic too much!
wink.png
Mine even wound up hatching late and when my DH found the first pip I thought he was just messing with me because I was so sure that I had killed them all. Just breathe and once you go in to lockdown, just leave them alone.
smile.png
BTW my shipped eggs were the ones that hatched the latest so don't get to day 23 and think they are gone, they are probably still good, just recandle and check.

Back
Top Bottom