Should I sell my chickens?

Dec 6, 2018
Clive, Iowa
(sorry to any grammar people its gonna be bad
) So my hens are 1 1/2 still have a bit of laying in them, currently there molting and not laying except for 1 or two eggs an my dad mad because he's feeding freeloader but there our first ones and I kinda am attached to them and I dont want them to be culled either by my dad or by my dad friends, and he also threatens to kill'em or get rid of them every time I do something wrong. Yesterday we kinda fought and he was like I want those F-ing chickens gone by tonight so I put an ad up on Craiglist and got offers 1 from a guy who want to replace his 2 BR he lost from old age so the up would be he'll most likely keep'em past the age of lay and another offer for all 13 ( maybe 11 if I sell the BR's) for a price of one. Plus we have 11 5 Month old pullets coming in not to mention the 9 unsexed 1-4 month old chicks and 5 ducks

So
Pros-
Can sell'em and may go to a good or even better home
Dad won't use against
We wont have to cull them
Con-
There my first hens had them since they were chicks
Will feel sad and bad to give away

Ultimately you have to decide for yourself, but i personally think that if you are getting 11 new pullets coming in and the other hens aren't laying it wold be a good idea to at least get rid of half of them.

Your year and a half hens are probably going into their first molt. It is necessary for them to change their feathers once a year. Most will stop laying eggs during this time, as all the hens energy will go to feather growth instead of egg laying. After molt your hens will go back to egg laying as usual, somewhat slower in winter as again energy will be used to keep warm in colder months and egg laying will reduce.
I am sorry you have to go through this with the family drama and misunderstood animal husbandry and mistaken expectations of a chickens life cycle.
If you can rehome your beloved hens to a good home, do so. Your parents call the shots. Maybe you can enlighten your Dad gently in the next months in preparation for your new chickens, as they will eventually hit the same molt cycle and leave off laying at that time.
Maybe keep the flock numbers low so the strain and expese of feed do not get overwhelming for your dad.
Maybe get a summer job and help as much as you can next year.
Good luck to you!

(sorry to any grammar people its gonna be bad
) So my hens are 1 1/2 still have a bit of laying in them, currently there molting and not laying except for 1 or two eggs an my dad mad because he's feeding freeloader but there our first ones and I kinda am attached to them and I dont want them to be culled either by my dad or by my dad friends, and he also threatens to kill'em or get rid of them every time I do something wrong. Yesterday we kinda fought and he was like I want those F-ing chickens gone by tonight so I put an ad up on Craiglist and got offers 1 from a guy who want to replace his 2 BR he lost from old age so the up would be he'll most likely keep'em past the age of lay and another offer for all 13 ( maybe 11 if I sell the BR's) for a price of one. Plus we have 11 5 Month old pullets coming in not to mention the 9 unsexed 1-4 month old chicks and 5 ducks

So
Pros-
Can sell'em and may go to a good or even better home
Dad won't use against
We wont have to cull them
Con-
There my first hens had them since they were chicks
Will feel sad and bad to give away

Honey, if you can't support them on your own it's better to find them a new home. The problem is, that you want to keep them, but your dad has to support them. Your dad's anger is reasonable. As for me I don't let freeloaders hang around for long on my farm.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom