Should I separate chick from parent?

She'll have older sisters, but they're still small and mostly feathered out. I dont think they would hurt her.

Keep the chick with mom and move mom, chick(s) and unhatched eggs to a safe location. I cannot guarantee that the hen won't want to get up and leave - BUT ...

In my own personal experience with many broodys, once there's a chick to tend to, the chances of moving successfully goes up - by a good margin!!!

I use a dog crate for hatching with my hens, and then they go into a separate area in front of the coop (with chick safe waterers) at ground level for a few days until the chicks have got their get-away sticks finely tuned.

A good broody won't go somewhere her chicks can't follow her. So much easier when momma raises them!!

Last edited:
Just be careful. That’s a big size difference between day(s) old born chick and a 3 week old. At least until the new chick starts to get their footing and move around better.
I agree, I had a 1 day old swedish flower chick I had placed with 2 to 3 week old serama chicks. They killed the baby in 2 hours by peaking it's head. I freaked out when I discovered it. Hard lesson learned.

Not to mention- that day old needs HEAT!!!
That goes without saying. I would like to think lol I assumed they were in brooder. She can always add heat for baby it won’t hurt older ones brooder should be big enough anyways to have shaded spots. Huge concern is size. They’re like little bobble heads knodding off standing up and stuff they can get knocked over and trampled so easily! I’ve had it happen with ones that were same freaking age! I ended up having to keep one Jersey giant alone in a brooder for a bit with a stuffy and mirror cause there was several week size different and not strong enough! Just made sure we spent a lot of time with her and would play with her. She’s all grown up and huge now and still is like one of our dogs just with wings and feathers 🤣

I agree, I had a 1 day old swedish flower chick I had placed with 2 to 3 week old serama chicks. They killed the baby in 2 hours by peaking it's head. I freaked out when I discovered it. Hard lesson learned.
It happens! Sadly majority of us do learn the hard way! Raising chicks is a lot of trial and error.. we always had smooth sailing this year gave me a run for my money!!

It happens! Sadly majority of us do learn the hard way! Raising chicks is a lot of trial and error.. we always had smooth sailing this year gave me a run for my money!!

The problem with day-olds through about 4 days old is they've got a Pollyanna type attitude, no clue that anything in the world will hurt them and will just stand there and be trampled, pecked etc.

I too have had chicks of the same age go after each other, happily just one time- when one of the brood developed coccidiosis and they all needed treating - they went from having the run of the yard to a much more confined space - and on the second day is when it happened. Once that first drop of blood is shed, however it happens - yep. Nobody died in our case, but the targeted cockerel at 3 weeks old had a hole in the head and was scalped. He recovered, but if I'd gotten home any later I think I would have found a body instead of an injured chick. Not to mention some of the awful things one sees in feed store chick bins!

Back
Top Bottom