Should I separate the drake from the new ducklings and mama??

deanna&rich

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
chimacum, WA
My blue Swedish hen is nesting very intently, so I expect some ducklings to hatch in a couple weeks. The drake, a big Pekin, is totally sweet to the duck hen, but a serious menace to our chicken hens, so he's on a 24-hr leash. They have a 50 square foot pen (and the nest is in there) but I leave the door open all day so they can free range.

Is it likely that the drake will attack the new ducklings? Do I need to keep him separated? We're thinking about culling him anyway, but don't want to upset the new mama.

Maybe as soon as the new babies hatch, the mama duck won't care about him and we can cull him without upsetting her.

Advice?? Thank you!!

Some drakes will attack new ducklings- But it depends on the individual. I always provide a safe separate area for my ducks that are sitting or are raising ducklings so she is free to go about raising her brood without the manace of a drake. I have found a lot of broken eggs that are the result of the drake trying to mate with the duck while sitting- and also ducklings have been squshed in the nest at times as well- So now I dont give them the opportunity- The drakes are locked away if I cannot secure the area the duck is sitting in. The chickens are also something you should consider as a risk to any ducklings that hatch.

Back
Top Bottom