Should I take Goslings away?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Gooseopolis, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Gooseopolis

Gooseopolis In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2018
    Hello everybody! I bought my male and female geese last year and raised them since they were 1 day old. My goose is sitting on 2 eggs for the last month and baby gosling #1 has made it safely out of the shell and is adorable! These are her first babies and they are fiercely protective of them. I thought she would of laid more eggs but that could of been my naive fault. She is a Chinese goose and pumps out an egg every 1-2 days. I’ve always collected them and brought them inside. A month ago was the first time I’ve ever seen her sitting on one egg that haven’t been collected yet. I read most people don’t collect them to see if she sits on them? she laid all through the winter/spring and summer. My question is should we take them away or let mom and dad raise them? I’ve read different opinions on the matter. I’ve read many people losing goslings by the Goose accidentally stepping on them. Anyways I would love to hear all your thoughts or experiences on this matter. I’m so proud right now! lolol

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Upon occasion a gosling will get stepped on in a large flock. With just the goose and gander, I would leave the goslings with them. I have never had a pair that injured their goslings either on purpose or inadvertently.

The goose girl likes this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I agree with @sourland, with just the pair I'd let them raise them.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: