Should I take him?

Chickens run

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Recently, I lost my rooster and 3 of my older hens, leaving me with 16 hens ranging in age from 4 years to 4 months. Since the rooster left, the girls have been wandering, lost without their leader. I bought a year old tame Rhode Island Red rooster for them, and the younger girls have accepted him, but not the older ones. I have a friend who has a 4.5 month old Silver Laced Wyandotte (bantam) that she cannot keep because of where she lives. I am tempted to take him, but have never had two roos, and have never wanted to. My set up is this: two separate coops in the same barn (converted barn stalls), they share a 50'x30' covered run and have access to 3 acres to free-range when I think it is safe from the hawks. They have very much remained two separate flocks, the younger roosting in one coop and the older in their usual coop. They are together during the day in the run but don't mingle too much, and when they range, they separate for the most part. I'm wondering if adding another roo to the mix would just add confusion or if it is possible. I've had chickens for 4 years now, and I understand that roos can fight, but I may have enough girls to go around. Also, the little guy may be able to be tamed a bit, and he may be submissive to the RIR since he is so large. Thoughts?

I have over 30 boys in my flock. Only one lives on his own, and that's because he an ex-fighting cock. As long as they have space to get away from each other, it should be fine. The roosters will fight when they meet and one will win, and after that they will avoid each other. Introduction can be an issue, since younger and smaller cockerels can get beat on quite badly. Make sure he has plenty of places to hide from the big roo while he learns his way around the flock and the environment. Keep Neosporin on hand during introduction, since typical injuries will be cuts and scratches to the comb and wattle, where the roosters will bite while fighting.

Back
Top Bottom