Should I test the coop/run with bait for fox?

kellysmall87

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
Wolverhampton, England. UK.
Hi, I lost my flock to a fox a couple of weeks back. I have now decided to get new chickens but keep them in my garage overnight as I am scared a fox will have them again. I have built a run for daytime, but don't trust it for night time.

Should I put some meat in the run and see if a fox can get in? Good idea? Then I can see where the weak spots are and if it got to the meat.

If you follow some basic guidelines on how to predator proof your coop and run, I don't think you need to try it with a bait. Not only that by having a bait, you might attract even more predators like racoons and such.

Or if you end up seeing a raccoon at by your coop and you trap. You have no choice but to destroy the critter. You can't take it to some out of the way place and "re-home" him. Nice gesture but if the out of the way place is in my neck of the woods I will be very angry! Not to mention its almost universally ILLEGAL.

Don't use a staple gun to secure the 1/2" hardware cloth or chicken wire. Chicken wire is no good because raccoon can reach in and grab a chicken. 1/2" hardware cloth, racoons and other critters can't reach in and grab.

Perimeter of your run and coop should have minimum of 12" of "apron" around the base. A strip of concrete or heavy lumber that the predators can't roll away from the coop. You should also bury part of the hardware cloth to about a depth of 6 inches or so. This keeps predators from digging under. Weasel, raccoon are known to do this very well.

Securing of 1/2" hardware cloth, I use 1-1/4" #10 screw with fender washer. Screw every 16-18" more the better. Racoons can't rip off the hardware cloth when its secured like this. And don't be cheap about overhanging wire cloth. Screws are set 2 or 3 squares in from the edge.

Racoons are known to open a simple bolt latch. We run a wire through ours at night so that the raccoon just slide the bolt to open. Ours have a place to hang a lock and we just tie a wire through it.

Make sure the frame of the coop and run is sturdy. If you are not of the corners, add metal angle brackets and secure with screws.

If you do this, you are not going to lose your flock.

Hi, I lost my flock to a fox a couple of weeks back. I have now decided to get new chickens but keep them in my garage overnight as I am scared a fox will have them again. I have built a run for daytime, but don't trust it for night time.

Should I put some meat in the run and see if a fox can get in? Good idea? Then I can see where the weak spots are and if it got to the meat.
I think that is an excellent idea. It's easier all the way around to loose a piece of meat than a flock.

I wouldn't do that- You'll just give local predators a target to go for even after you deem it safe and fill it with chickens. Don't make yourself a target.

What part of your system did the fox make its way through to get at your chickens? Give use some pictures of your situation. I would beef up your outside perimeter, both vertically and horizontal across the grown. Putting food out will work if have a camera to watch and you are willing to move your chickens back and forth. As for attracting local predators it doesn't matter. If you have made it so they can't get in don't, worry about them.

your best bet is a secure coop at night, but if you are worried about daytime critters getting in, go around the run with a claw hammer and see if you can tear into it..if you can it's not safe. As for baiting? What would you use and how long before it really stinks? Alot have had success with electric fences to keep out daytime predators too...think like a fox and test the run yourself.

Hi everyone, thanks for your posts! I asked the question about bait as I want to see if a fox would get in but at the same time was unsure if I would attract the foxes more.

First thing is, it's only foxes and small domestic cats that I am worried about. We live in England and there are no raccoons and nothing else predatory where we live, on the outskirts of a city.

The fox got to my chickens because for the first time ever, I forgot to lock them up as I fell asleep on the sofa. :( So it was an open invitation for the fox. They had been safe in the coop before that. But now, I think I'm paranoid in case the fox comes back.

I have bought a dog run, 6 x 4 feet and 3 feet high. It had no bottom, so I got some chicken wire and buried it into the ground and attached it to the outsides of the dog run. The chickens go in that if I leave the house, otherwise they're in the small family garden roaming free. I attached the coup to the door in the dog run, and secured it with U nails. But I went and gave it a good pull last night to see if I could get in, as some of you suggested, and some chicken wire came loose. Enough to get my hand in.

I'm going to make some adjustments, I've bought some wooden posts that are going two feet into the ground and the wire will also go in the ground. I haven't got the brawn to do it myself, I need to get my partner or brothers to do it, otherwise I would if I could. I'll take all of your advice on board, and thanks again! :)

England?! Isn't it time to have a fox hunt then? I'll go with, I'm good over fences and such! :) I can't remember how many times I've forgotton to close the pop door, so i bought an automatic, solar powered one that opens at dawn and closes at dusk...no more worries there. (I sound like an ad, but it is great) my chickens free range and it's nice to feed them then not have to go out again to close them up, or wonder in the dark if i forgot again. The door I got was so easy to install I would say it was fun (and I hate technical stuff) I got the pulletshut door and I think you should check into it...very reliable. Of course make sure the pen is secure, it may mean better wire but I know your chickens would be happier in their own place! And even if you could get that one fox, another would follow (I don't trust cats too much either, especially around chicks) and I've lost a few to feral cats-real monsters. Meanwhile good luck with your fortifications and may your chickens lay many eggs.

Back
Top Bottom