Should I throw them out??

Shyanna Mobley

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2017
This is my first time incubating eggs and I was reading about candling with a light and that you can also do a float test to see if they are alive. So I decided to do the float test on day 17 with my duck eggs. I had 6/10 to float on top of the water, 1/10 to barely hit the top, and then 3/10 to float to the bottom. It says if they float to the bottom to throw them out because they are bad but when i candle them with a light I clearly see movement. I honestly don't know what to do, and I'm scared if they are bad and I don't take them out them will explode. Someone please help.

You need to understand the purpose of a float test and when to do it. The position an egg assumes in the water is ONLY related to the size of the air cell. A float test should be a last resort after hatch date has come and gone. At that time, you would be looking for tell tale ripples in the water that indicate that the fetus is alive and moving. IMO, the float test is essentially useless b/c of the risk to the fetus. It should not be done at all prior to that time b/c it is very likely to introduce bacteria through the pores of the egg and cause infection in the embryo.

Candling should be your primary means of assessing eggs during incubation. When you candle a developing egg you: assess air cell size to see if it is on track, look for embryo movement. Eggs can be candled before they even go into the bator to assess air cell size and porosity of the egg.

Please read "Hatching Eggs 101" in the learning center. It will help you to avoid mistakes in your incubation.

Back
Top Bottom