Should I tolerate a cockerel that is showing aggression toward his hens?

CleverCluck

Chirping
Jun 5, 2019
Cartersville, GA
Ok I have 12 hens and one cockerel and they are about to turn 4 months old. now that the cockerel is maturing I have noticed he is mean to the girls, he grabs them by the throat and wont let go, and pulls feathers out and they scream bloody murder! he shows no aggression toward me or my dogs so that is good, but i am just wondering will he get worse with the hens or is this just a puberty thing he is doing?

Sounds like he's frustrated. Cockerells mature quicker in the love department. If you want to keep him. Try separating him (either in a separate coop or section off a part of the run) until the girls are mature and ready to accept him. By then his hormones may have calmed down. If he hasn't changed his ways. Swap him out. If you're not keen on him. Do the deed now and bring in another one when the girls are laying properly. They do have different personalities and hopefully you'll end up with a gentleman.

Ok I have 12 hens and one cockerel and they are about to turn 4 months old. now that the cockerel is maturing I have noticed he is mean to the girls, he grabs them by the throat and wont let go, and pulls feathers out and they scream bloody murder! he shows no aggression toward me or my dogs so that is good, but i am just wondering will he get worse with the hens or is this just a puberty thing he is doing?
If you truly had hens and a cockerel, things would be very different. The cockerel would be getting the boots put to him. But you have all same age pullets and a cockerel. The pullets need more time. I would isolate him in a large, secure area where everyone can still see each other but he cannot get to them. When the pullets start squatting for him near the fence, they are ready and he can return to the flock.

If you truly had hens and a cockerel, things would be very different. The cockerel would be getting the boots put to him. But you have all same age pullets and a cockerel. The pullets need more time. I would isolate him in a large, secure area where everyone can still see each other but he cannot get to them. When the pullets start squatting for him near the fence, they are ready and he can return to the flock.
i will do that thanks dobie!

Back
Top Bottom