Should I trim the wings of my geese?

Kwoka

Songster
Sep 21, 2022
Poland
I have 6 Landes geese (French grey geese for meat/liver) that have started exercising their wings quite a lot lately. I’d say they’re about 10 weeks old. They’re very friendly, follow me everywhere and eat from my hand, but I’m still kind of worried that they will fly away? Should I trim their flight feathers?

We have a 6 ft fence around the whole property, no tempting bodies of water around, and no wild geese in the area.

this is my first year with geese, but I love them and I’m definitely going to get goslings again next year

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Most domestic geese really aren't inclined to fly at all, those that do can't go too far in general, and I've never heard of them flying away before. As long as their needs are met and they feel happy and safe at home you shouldn't have to worry. The most I've ever heard domestics doing is a circle or two around the property then landing right back where they started, but even that is pretty rare.

Most domestic geese really aren't inclined to fly at all, those that do can't go too far in general, and I've never heard of them flying away before. As long as their needs are met and they feel happy and safe at home you shouldn't have to worry. The most I've ever heard domestics doing is a circle or two around the property then landing right back where they started, but even that is pretty rare.
That’s good to hear, thank you for the reassurance!

It’s a phase they go through when they’re like teenagers and they’re just learning to use their wings. They run and fly up and take little flights a lot when they get a little older, not so much anymore. I’ve seen my geese go up about 5 feet high and fly about 30 or 40 feet far that’s it.

Back
Top Bottom