Should I try hatching my own eggs first?

deenamr

Songster
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Central Oregon
I was a given a free lg incubator. I am thinking of hatching eggs for the first time. I have been looking around on line for eggs for sale and have been thinking that maybe I should trying hatching some of my own as a practice run before I start spending money buying eggs. I have a silver pheonix banty rooster and I am wondering about crossing him with my large breed hens. I am concerned about what kind of chicks this will produce. Does anyone cross the two sizes of chickens?

The eggs I am currently getting have the bulls eye look of a fertile egg that I saw pictures of on this website so I believe they are fertilized.

I absolutely agree, use your own first.
smile.png
good luck!!

Yours first, and probably second and third until you get you hatch rate up where you want it for paid for shipped eggs. There is an unavoidable learning curve for what works with your incubator, in your home, at this time, with your schedule, everything. There is an art to making all of that balance out and end up with live chicks. Best of luck in your first hatch! We all want to see the pics or hear the stories at the very least!

So I am going to use my own eggs. Is there any issue because I have a banty roo and large breed hens? It's ok if I end up with medium size mutt chickens as long as there is not a health concern with mixing the sizes.

I am already making a list of breed types I want to buy to hatch when I am ready. I think I am becoming a chicken addict.

Back
Top Bottom