should i try to keep my duck inside?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Oct 25, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i decided i wanted pet ducks a while back now and at first my parents were like NO WAY! then i just wouldnt shut up about it for like a whole week so they gave in then lol, i told them that when they hatch (im incubating them myself) they need to stay inside for at least 8 weeks (its not really that long i know [​IMG]) but then my dad said they need to go outside in a duck house/run that hes gonna build... but i only have 2 fertile eggs left so im gonna have 2 ducks max....

do you think i should try and convince my parents to let the ducks stay inside?

what are the pros and cons for the ducks of being inside/outside?

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Are you talking about putting them out right after they hatch, or after the 8 weeks they are inside? This time of the year, if you put them outside without a momma they might not make it. They have to stay very warm and dry for the first few weeks, otherwise they could get sick. After that, when they've gotten in a lot of feathers, they should be fine to go outside.

3. schoebel_taylor

schoebel_taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    If you put them outside make sure it is dry and you have a heatlamp on them and they should be ok. The main thing is that the are dry and warm.

4. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Father knows best...

5. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    yeah i know they wont be goong outside until 8 weeks old...

but when they are 8 weeks old my parents want them to go in the garden in the house/run, i want to keep them inside!

6. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    After taking care of two ducklings in the house for 8 weeks, you may be very happy to let them go outside to live and your parents may give you no choice. LOL

Ducklings are sooooo cute!! Ducklings are sooooo messy!!!!! Ducklings are sooooo fun!!! Enjoy them.

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    VERY messy! I vote outside.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Messy, messy, messy. They make keeping chicks in the house look tame in comparison. They get everything soaked in water. And once everything is good and wet, it stinks. I kept 4 ducklings and 4 goslings in my kitchen for 3 weeks this summer, and that was a week too long. They were a disaster. I had to clean them 2-3 times per day including a daily bath for the whole crew just to keep them looking somewhat civilized. Still, the smell when you walked into my house was like getting slapped in the face with a nasty, wet, dirty towel.

I do not recommend keeping them in the house for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by